Teakettle Junction

Teakettle Junction

Teakettle Junction is a well-known landmark encountered on Racetrack Road en route to The Racetrack in Death Valley NP. Visitors leave dozens of signed teakettles, but closer inspection reveals most are only a few months old. I’m not sure what the NPS does with all of them as they are collected. There is also a lesser-known landmark a moderate distance to the north between Death Valley and Eureka Valley, known as Crankshaft Junction. The artifacts there, however, have much lower turnover. They're heavy!
mrchad9
on Nov 7, 2011 12:51 am
Image ID: 758480

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-16 of 16
TimB

TimB - Nov 7, 2011 10:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Thats funny!

I like it.

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Nov 8, 2011 1:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thats funny!

Thanks TimB. It's a popular stopping point for folks on the route. The comments from you guys have encouraged me to link a photo of Crankshaft Junction in as well.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 8, 2011 12:13 am - Voted 10/10

'Honey did you bring the pot?'

Went by it on the way to Ubehebe Peak in '99. The van drive in was harder than the climb! Talk about vehicular rearrangment. I guess the kettles pile up too much over time. I can see they've reinforced the base post with rocks in recent years. Wonder how this odd tradition got started?

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Nov 8, 2011 2:00 am - Hasn't voted

Re: 'Honey did you bring the pot?'

No idea how the tradition started, but Ubehebe Peak was one of my favorite desert peaks of all time. My first as well if I recall correctly.

Baarb

Baarb - Nov 8, 2011 12:26 am - Voted 10/10

Nice

Would love to make it out to Death Valley one day, it's really something. There's an Oddities album that this may be suitable for http://www.summitpost.org/oddities/198182 Unfortunately it's only really ever had 3 pictures in but could be a good one with some more in it.

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Nov 8, 2011 2:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice

Death Valley is certainly worth a visit. For I time I was going nearly every Thanksgiving. Lots to see and do there, its huge.

LOL that album is pretty slim, but now there's four photos.

Thanks for the comment.

PAROFES

PAROFES - Nov 8, 2011 4:53 am - Voted 10/10

Well

this is one different POTD!
Good to change for a bit!
Congrats again Chad! :)
Paulo

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Nov 8, 2011 11:27 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Well

Haha... I absolutely did not anticipate this might be POTD, but I am glad folks like it. I suppose there are lots of little cool spots like this one in Death Valley that I may have begun to take for granted.
Thanks Paulo

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Nov 8, 2011 8:39 am - Voted 10/10

Ubehebe Peak is great!

Too bad you lose dental work on the drive in.

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Nov 8, 2011 11:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Ubehebe Peak is great!

The first time I went to the area I was in a rental car... that helped. Love that area, been a few times.

darinchadwick

darinchadwick - Nov 8, 2011 1:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Caught in the act.

My wife and I just happened to be there when a ranger was there removing teakettles. He only removed the ones that were blocking the sign, and left the rest there. We politely asked him what he did with them, but he refused to say, and didn't like the fact that we snooped in the back of his truck to see how many he had taken. I then remarked on how impressed I was that he had a shotgun and a Ruger mini-14, AND a sidearm. After that he got downright rude. I'm assuming he was transferred from Yosemite. Meanwhile...on the opposite side of the road, way out in the bushes we discovered a very old teakettle suspended above a barely visible firering.

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Nov 8, 2011 2:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Caught in the act.

LOL! He certainly seems paranoid...

They also seem to forget where their salary comes from and what their real purpose there is. Strange he wouldn't answer any questions... the mystery remains.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Nov 8, 2011 4:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Caught in the act.

Meet all types out there. I almost got a very big ticket for "off-road driving" when I pulled off to park in an area identified for parking by a guidebook. I showed the ranger the guidebook, he forgave me, and we both put up boulders to block the turnoff. The place just had signs that said "no camping" and "no fires." Seems like they might add "no parking."

When he told me that the parking for "Telescope Peak" was just up the road, I pointed out Telescope Peak, at least 10 miles away and across the valley, and suggested the parking was actually for Corkscrew. He got a slightly upset look on his face, but didn't rescind my pardon.

T. White

T. White - Nov 28, 2018 12:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Caught in the act.

And here I was thinking that the current epidemic of vest-wearing, gun-toting, oversized truck-driving rangers was a more recent development...

Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Jan 11, 2012 12:11 pm - Voted 10/10

:)

too many kettles :)))

cheers!

Tomek Lodowy

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Jan 11, 2012 5:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: :)

...an interesting little stop in Death Valley, en route to a lot of interesting geological features.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16