“The Three Sisters” & “The Brother”

“The Three Sisters” & “The Brother”

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.62321°N / 105.3465°W
Additional Information County: Jefferson County
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Bouldering, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7864 ft / 2397 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Natural Resources -  The dominant features of this Open Space park are the rock outcroppings known as "The Three Sisters" and "The Brother". The outcrops are metamorphic rock of the Precambrian Era which consist largely of silver plume quartz. A trail leads to the top of "The Brother" where a commanding view of Evergreen and the surrounding valleys reward the hiker. The park is also home to many types of birds and animals. A turkey vulture, Cooper's hawk, red shafted flicker, Stellar's jay, raven and mountain bluebird have all been sighted on the park. Chipmunks, several types of squirrels, and other small wildlife also live here. The pine forest which covers most of the park shelters a wide variety of mountain plant life. History -  Early settlers include the original homesteader, James T. Hester, builder of the first house and barn in 1873. A fire consumed the buildings in 1894, with traces of the ice house and potato cellar visible until recently. A portion of Alderfer/Three Sisters Park was donated by the Alderfer family. In 1945, E.J. Alderfer and his wife, Arleta, moved into the ranch house built in 1894 by George Dollison. They remodeled the house and raised silver fox and Aberdeen Angus cattle on the ranch until 1970, when pasturing of horses became the dominant use of the land. Over the years, the Alderfers also operated a sawmill and did custom haying. At one point, the Alderfers had over 1,000 acres under their control through leases and purchases in this area. The northern section of this park (including the Three Sisters Peaks) was obtained from the Spencer Wyant family, who also made a considerable gift to the Open Space legacy of Jefferson County. From 1977 to 1986, Jefferson County Open Space acquired the property (185 acres from the Alderfer Partnership, 57 acres from the Spencer Wyant family and the remaining 94 acres from the Alderfer Partnership in 1986). An additional 440 acres are leased from the State Land Board. Much of the park was donated by the E.J. Alderfer and Spencer Wyant families.

N 39° 37.411 W 105° 20.781
13S E 470273 N 4386029
Quick Description: Alderfer/Three Sisters Park boasts 770 acres of open space and over 10 miles of trails. The four rock formations, called the Three Sisters and The Brother, have been landmarks providing spectacular views of the Bear Creek Basin for over a century.
 

Near the heart of Evergreen, Alderfer/Three Sisters Park abounds with stunning vistas, landmark rock formations, beautiful old stands of ponderosa pine and the most trails per acre of any foothills park (nearly 15 miles on 770 acres). 

Once a working ranch for cattle, horses and foxes, Alderfer/Three Sisters is now a park that offers a variety of experiences, from hikes across rolling terrain to challenging rides to the top of Evergreen Mountain. Climbers enjoy bouldering on rock formations near the south trailhead. Pads are encouraged. Fixed protection is not permitted.

“The Three Sisters” and “The Brother” are the landmarks of the terrain. Meadows burst with wildflowers in late spring/early summer. Birdlife includes turkey vultures, Cooper's hawks, red-shafted flickers, Stellar's jays, ravens and mountain bluebirds.

 

 

The view
Historic Landmark

 

Popular Trails.

 

Getting There

South Trailhead: 31677 Buffalo Park Rd., Evergreen Turn west on Buffalo Park Road from County Highway 93, just south of downtown Evergreen, and travel approximately one mile. You can also reach this trailhead by foot or bike from the Dedissee Trail, originating at the Evergreen Lakehouse.

 
North Trailhead: 30299 Buffalo Park Rd., EvergreenA larger lot is a 1/2 mile north of the south trailhead

Route

Middle Three Sisters is a 7,864 ft / 2,397 m 
 
Three Sisters North is a 7,784 ft / 2,373 m
 
Three Sisters South is a 7,824 ft / 2,385
 
The Brother is a 7,824 ft / 2,385 m
 
 
 
 

The hike to the Three Sisters rock formations starts at the east parking lot. (Directions above) Take the Three Sisters Trail into the trees and start climbing up. Over the next half mile or so to the top, hikers climb about 250 feet from the parking lot to the formations. Along the trail, enjoy the views of the surrounding peaks and forest. There are also views of Evergreen High School and a nearby golf course. When hikers reach the spot between the Three Sisters, it's time for a challenge. It takes some rock climbing and route finding to reach the top of the formations.

 

Alderfer/Three Sisters ParkTrailhead.
Trail intersectionJunction.
First view from trailFirst view from trail
Getting thereGetting there
Bellow East Sister. East Sister
Three Sisters NorthThree Sisters North.
View from Middle Sister.The view from Middle Three Sisters.
Middle Three Sisters
Scrambling on Middle Sister
Mt. Evans from Middle Three Sisters

Red Tape

Trailhead/trail website: [Web Link]
Visit Instructions:To claim a log for this waymark, some proof of a visit is required. This proof could be a simple photo of their GPS at the trailhead, a photo of the person at the trailhead, or a photo of a signature item that a person uses for photographs, at the trailhead. In order to help other waymarkers who are looking for a nice hike/walk outdoors, you are encouraged to provide good feedback about the quality of the hike/trail.
 
Trail allowances or restrictions: 
Allowances: leashed dogs, horses, bicycles Restrictions: hunting, off-road vehicles, camping, fires, collection of natural resources Trail type: Hard-packed dirt, crushed gravel, some rock outcroppings.
 
Park Permits and Reservations

Whether you’re looking to rent a shelter at Pine Valley Ranch, host an event compatible with Open Space goals, or bring a large group to a park for an outing, this is your first stop. Please read the Park Permit Guidelines (pdf) to determine whether your event requires a permit. Questions? Please contact Jefferson County Open Space,ps@jeffco.us or 303-271-5925.

 

NOTE: Climbing of any sort is not allowed in the neighboring Dedisse Denver Mountain Park located NW of Three Sisters.

Online Forms

Information

Open Space Parks & Maps:

Park Map

Trail Profiles

Weather Links:
 
 
 
 
Web Cams:
 
 
Webcam Network

When to Climb

Add When to Climb text here.

Camping

This regional park is accessible via a short drive from anywhere in the Denver metropolitan area. A visit to Evergreen Mountain is a short, pleasant day trip for hikers from Colorado Springs or Fort Collins. As a result, lodging is unnecessary for a majority of visitors to Evergreen Mountain.Camping: No camping is available in the park. Hotels: A Quality Suites is available on Evergreen Parkway.Cabins: Cabins are available for rent via Bear Creek Cabins or Stone Mountain Cabins.

External Links

Bouldering in Three Sisters Park:
 
 

Bouldering at Three Sisters Park - Evergreen, CO from Ivo Penchev on Vimeo.

Undercover in 3 Sisters, CO from John Gass on Vimeo.