Tirol Uber Ales ! (Cotopaxi 2005)

Tirol Uber Ales ! (Cotopaxi 2005)

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 0.6667°S / 78.4333°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 10, 2005
Activities Activities: Mountaineering

About this page

This report is both in English and French. - Français suit plus bas.


English version

COTOPAXI 5897m (Ecuador / Andes / Cordilliera Oriental), normal route (north), PD (50 degrees, + 1100m), free climb following a Tyrolean party, (June 2005 / freezing rain at night – sunny in the morning):
Cotopaxi shadowsweet dreams are made of these...

Cotopaxi is most probably the busiest mountain in Ecuador if not of the whole Andes. This perfect-shape volcano is normally visible from the capital city Quito, and is easily accessible by car (parking at 4600m, refuge at 4800m). Cotopaxi is considered an active volcano due to the fact that it lets out a little fume and has some minor seismic activity. However, the common qualifier of “the highest active volcano in the world” is truly not appropriate: Indeed, there are higher active volcanoes north of Chile at the border with Bolivia, not mentioning the world’s highest volcano itself, Ojos del Salado, which might be actually considered active…
After my Sangay adventure, I was headed toward Cotopaxi. I went to the city of Latacunga, the closest to the volcano. There I socialized with fellow Spaniard Armando who was also interested in climbing the famous mountain. Finding out the weather forecast was not good; we decided to go for a training trip to Volcan Quilotoa (3994m) and the lagoon of the same name. Armando did not have any gear. Thus, once back to Latacunga, we decided to purchase an "all-included guiding package" from a local trekking agency… and here comes Rambo and his old Land Cruiser! Rambo was a "white" guide (unfortunately these concepts are too significant in Ecuador not to be mentioned), dissident of the national association of mountain guides ASEGUIM. His nickname seemed to be originated by his rather khaki attire, his mid-long haircut and his red bandana!
avalanche prone Cotopaxi hut!Refugio José Ribas

We got into the old deserving vehicle and headed toward our objective. Everything went according to the plan until the refuge. There, I had 2 failures: First, too confident in my acclimatization (I was coming from Sangay), I ate too much!! Ecuadorian agencies are apparently very generous with food in order to catch up with their operational weaknesses. The thing is that their staff are obviously more accustomed to live in altitude, thus have no acclimatization problem and consequently, higher digestion capacity! Secondly, I had chosen not to bring my sleeping bag, preferring my tiny bivy-bag. However, in spite the fact I was wearing all my gears at night, I still felt the cold while under the non-insulated roofs of the refuge subjected to a wind exceeding for sure 50km/h. To give you an idea, water was freezing in the large dormitory that night, and me... shivering! I ended up finding a shelter close to the warm kitchen. To my surprise, I found out the guides themselves were sleeping on the floor below, in the dining room next to the kitchen!! Anyway, it was too late for me; the digestion of my big fat meal and the cold had already taken their toll. The first symptoms of altitude sickness were knocking at the door: forehead pain and nausea.
That night, the weather was neither good nor too bad. As planned everybody left Refugio José Ribas at 1 am and started the ascent. Not feeling OK, I abandoned Rambo and Armando once at the glacier (200m higher) and turned back to the hut. I knew I was weakening and that we still had 900m of ascent ahead and did not want to sign away Armando’s chances to reach the top. Unfortunately for him, the weather deteriorated. The common freezing rain of Cotopaxi was replaced by snow and everyone ended up turning around. Armando and Rambo had climbed up to altitude 5400m. Later, we discovered that night only one non-guided party had summited. They had reached the south summit (slightly lower) from the opposite side of the volcano…
CotopaxiCotopaxi as seen from the Ilinizas

Following this first failed attempt, I felt exhausted. I went back to Laguna Quilotoa to rest and to train at a decent altitude, after what I ascended Iliniza Norte as a re-acclimatization climb. Armando didn’t have more time and returned to Spain.
Few days later, it was time for a second attempt. I decided to give it a try on my own. I needed a lift though... For 10$ the trekking agency in Latacunga agreed to give me a ride to Cotopaxi. All I had to do was to join a group of 3 that had purchased a tour of Cotopaxi National Park and to wait in the 4x4 while they were going for a hike around Laguna Limpiopungo and then, to step out once at Cotopaxi car park (4600m). My companions during this trip were long time travelers and / or mountaineers. One was from Poland, the other 2 a Canadian couple of Swiss origins: Esther & Martin Kafer, honorary Presidents of the famous British Columbia Mountaineering Club! In the 60s and 70s, these 2 opened dozens of new routes in the remote Cost Range of BC. I pretty much believe Esther Kafer has been the first woman to ascent Mount Waddington, “the mystery mountain”. At the parking the Kafers decided to visit the hut 200m higher in elevation. No big deal you’ll think, yet very impressive at this altitude considering they were in their late 70s. Following them on that trail, I felt honoured to put my feet into their footsteps.
Inside Refugio José RibasSocializing while in the hut

Once at Refugio José Ribas, I found the Tyrolean team and their guide Marcial (see my Iliniza Norte trip report). Marcial, seeing me alone, asked me how I intended to do for the ascent. When he learned that I was going to free climb following the track, he offered me to follow his party. He also told me about his intention of installing a fixed rope at the crux of the climb: the bergschrund. The idea was welcome by the other guides, especially since the ladder installed there earlier had been buried by recent snow.
This time, having learned from my mistakes, I paid particularly attention to what I was eating in altitude and had brought my sleeping bag! In addition, like the guides themselves, I slept in the dining room next to the kitchen! When leaving the hut at 1 am, I was truly in good shape! Marcial and his customers roped up at the glacier and I followed them free climbing. Just on the first snow slope, there was a technical problem: one of Armin’s (of the Tyrolean team) crampons kept coming off… Apparently, the boots were not rigid enough. The third time, I saw the resignation on Marcial’s face. The point was we were not even on the steepest slopes of the route, not mentioning the descent… Suddenly a miracle unfolded! Uncommonly, I had an idea! I took Armin’s foot and passed the crampon strap under his boot and passed it again in the loops! The crampon would not come off any more...
Cotopaxi bergschrund (NR)at the bergschrund

At this second attempt I really felt good. I was not even bothered by the freezing rain that covered our gears with a thin layer of ice. I have to mention Marcial gave many breaks to take care of Armin who started to suffer from the altitude and Tobi who was getting tiered (don’t know if this was related to the fact that he is a smoker or not). Marcial did a great job by managing perfectly the pace and the breaks. He led his entire group to the top and the fixed rope he installed at the bergschrund (a vertical 3 meters) was used by all the parties both during the ascent and the descent (rappel). As far as I was concerned, I thanked him financially for having authorised me to follow his party. It was not before our return to the hut, when we were desperately trying to get rid of the thin but sticky layer of ice on our gear, that I discovered Marcial was actually the newly elected president of ASEGUIM (Ecuador association of mountain guides)…

Version française

COTOPAXI 5897m (Equateur / Andes / Cordilliera Oriental), voie normale du nord, PD (50 degrés, + 1100m), en libre suivant une cordée tyrolienne, (juin 2005 / pluie verglaçante la nuit – beau temps au matin):
Cotopaxi summit from the hut"objectif Cotopaxi !"

Cotopaxi est la montagne la plus fréquentée d’Equateur et peut-être même des Andes. Ce volcan en cône parfait est visible depuis la Capitale, Quito, et est très accessible (parking à 4600m, refuge à 4800m). Le volcan est considéré actif car il présente de l’activité sismique et des fumeroles. Toujours est-il que le qualificatif du plus haut volcan actif de la planète qu’on contribue toujours à lui attribuer n’a plus lieu d’être. En effet, on a trouvé des volcans actifs encore plus hauts à la frontière entre le Chili et la Bolivie, sans parler du plus haut volcan de la terre, Ojos del Salado, qui ne serait pas éteint comme on le pensait…

Apres Sangay, je suis parti au Cotopaxi en compagnie d’un pote espagnol avec qui j’avais sympathisé en traînant du coté du volcan Quilotoa (3994 m) et de la lagune du même nom. Armando n’avait absolument aucun matos. On a donc fait appel à une agence de trekking et nous nous sommes retrouvés avec un « package » incluant le guide… Nous voilà avec, Rambo ! Un « blanc » (malheureusement ces notions sont trop importantes en Equateur pour ne pas être mentionnées), guide dissident de l’ASEGUIM ! Tout se passe bien pour nous jusqu’au refuge. Là j’ai eu 2 ratés. D’abord trop confient dans mon acclimatation (je revenais du Sangay), je me suis goinfré de bouffe ! Oui, les agences équatoriennes ne lésinent jamais sur la logistique alimentaire (ils pensent rattraper ainsi d’autres points faibles) et cela d’autant plus qu’eux, habitués à vivre en altitude n’ont pas ou ont peu de problème d’acclimatation et par voie de conséquence de digestion en altitude.
View from Cotopaxi summitSommet Sud

Puis, je n’avais pas pensé bon amener mon sac de couchage y préférant mon sac de bivouac. Or malgré le fait de porter tous mes vêtements, j’ai caillé sous les toits non-isolés du refuge soumis à du vent dépassant pour sûr les 50km/h. Pour vous donner une idée l’eau gelait dans le grand dortoir cette nuit là, et moi, je tremblais ! Alors, je me suis réfugié à la cuisine pour m’apercevoir que les guides, eux, dormaient là, à l’étage en dessous, dans la salle à manger accolée à la cuisine !! Quoiqu’il en soit, il était trop tard pour moi, la difficulté à digérer et le froid me conduisaient déjà aux premiers symptômes du MAM. Mal au front et nausée. Le temps était mauvais mais pas trop. Tout le monde a quitté le refuge José Ribas comme convenu, vers 1h du matin, pour prendre d’assaut le sommet. A la limite du glacier (200m plus haut) j’ai abandonné Rambo et Armando pour retourner au refuge. Je me savais fébrile, il restait 900m à monter et je ne voulais pas hypothéquer les chances d’Armando d’atteindre le sommet. Malheureusement pour lui, le temps s’est dégradé. A la pluie verglaçant habituelle du Cotopaxi a succédé la neige et tout le monde a fait demi-tour.
Armando et Rambo étaient montés jusqu'à 5400m. Plus tard, on a su que seule une cordée autonome (sans guide) avait fait le sommet sud (l’autre versant) cette nuit la…Moi je suis parti me reposer et m’entraîner à nouveau dans la région de Quilotoa. Puis j’ai fait Iliniza Norte en re-acclimatation. Armando, lui est rentré en Espagne.
Cotopaxi summit and Yanasacha...Yanasacha & Sommet Nord

Apres Iliniza Norte, j’ai récupéré mes connaissances tyroliennes et leur guide Marcial (voir à Ilinizas) au refuge José Ribas pour une 2de tentative du Cotopaxi. Marcial, me voyant arriver seul me demande comment je compte faire pour l’ascension. Quand il apprend que je compte suivre le train des autres cordées en libre, il me propose de suivre sa cordée. Il me dit qu’il compte poser une corde fixe pour faciliter le passage du plus grand obstacle de l’ascension : La rimée. On la dit très ouverte. L’idée d’une corde fixe est bien accueillie par les autres guides, d’autant plus que l’échelle qui avait été posée à ce niveau pour en faciliter le passage vient de se faire engloutir par les récentes chutes de neige. Cette fois-ci je fais attention à ce que je mange en altitude et j’ai même un sac de couchage. De surcroît, comme les guides, je dors dans la salle à manger, accolé à la cuisine ! Au départ à 1h du matin, je pete la forme ! Marcial et ses clients s’encordent au glacier et je les suis en libre. Pourtant à peine sur les premières pentes de neige, on fait face à un problème technique : un des crampons du Tyrolien Armin, n’arrête pas de sauter… Visiblement ses chaussures ne sont pas assez rigides, la troisième fois, j’ai vu la résignation sur le visage de Marcial. Il est vrai qu’on n'avait pas encore atteint les plus fortes pentes du parcours, sans parler du cas de la descente… Là tout d’un coup il y a eu un miracle ! Une fois n’est pas coutume, j’ai eu une idée ! ! Je prends le pied d’Armin et fait faire un tour sous la godasse à sa lanière et la repasse dans la boucle ! Le crampon ne sautera plus…
Cotopaxi NR from schrundla voie normale

Lors de cette course, je me sentais vraiment en forme malgré l’habituelle pluie verglaçante qui nous recouvrait d’une pellicule de glace. Il faut dire que Marcial faisait beaucoup de poses pour ménager Armin qui commençait à pâtir du MAM et Tobi qui commençait à manquer de souffle (il est fumeur). Marcial a fait du bon boulot : En gérant parfaitement le rythme et les poses, il a amené tout son groupe au sommet et la corde fixe qu’il a posé au niveau de la rimée (passage quasi-vertical de 3 mètres / neige) a profité à toutes les cordées aussi bien à la montée (main courante) qu’à la descente (pour rappel). Personnellement, je l’ai récompensé financièrement de m’avoir autorisé à faire « la sangsue », comme disent les guides français. Au retour au refuge, alors qu’on se débarrassait de nos vêtements encore recouverts de verglas, j’ai appris qu’en fait Marcial était le président de ASEGUIM (association équatorienne de guides de montagne)…




Comments

No comments posted yet.