To be alone on Mont Blanc

To be alone on Mont Blanc

Page Type Page Type: Album

Mont Blanc

Mont Blanc was on my wish list for a long time. Now, in late season I had the time to do it. But who should accompany me on the way to the highest summit of the Alps. My climbing-partner Nikman had a lot of business to do and Thomas (schmid_th) had health-problems of a disastrous Lyskamm-trip.

So I decided to do it on my own, alone with a tent and my lovely stove.

I drove from Munich where I had some business to do to Chamonix on Friday night. I started my trip at Les Houches at the cable car to Bellevue and continued to Nid d`Aigle with the "Mont Blanc Tramway" in the morning. The frist part, the route to Refuge de Tete Rousse was a boring hiking trip. After it follows the small glacier-traverse and the crossing of the Grand Couloir. The Grand Coulior was very icy but very quite with less rockfall due to the cold morning. The ascent to Refuge de Gouter was free of snow, so I had no problems on the way to this high frequented hut. At "Gouter" there was a lot of turbulence and I were glad to avoid a stay. I built my tent, cooked a little bit Pasta and prepared myself for the last part to Mont Blanc.

I started at 2.15pm and reached the summit at 5.45pm. It was a very nice and mostly lonely trip. The conditions were perfect, high temperatures and no wind. On the way up I met three Romanians carrying heavy load for a bivy at Vallot. They were a little bit exhausted and told me they had not done a 4.000m peak before and had not done a acclimatisation trip. I wished them good luck and predicted them a sleepless night at Vallot (4.350m!!!).

Short before the summit a paraglider shot above the summit-ridge and made a loud "Yeeehaa!" and glided down to Chamonix. What a way to climb a mountain! Fantastic! Going up on the highest peak of the Alps and gliding down in some minutes to the car without a strenous descent. ;-)

I was alone on the summit. It was a fantastic moment. I couldn´t imagine how annoying it would be to share this summit with many other mountaineers. I stayed there for 15 minutes and waited for the last group of this day. We made some shots of each other and I started my descent to be at my tent by the last light.

The next morning in the darkness, I heard the mass ascending next to my tent. I smiled into the sleeping bag.
By the first light I packed my stuff and descended to Nid d`Aigle. I passed the Grand Couloir in the cold morning so it was very quite and safe once again.

At Nid d`Aigle I thought about that I was a very lucky guy. Good weather, no wind, no problems at Grand Couloir or the campsite, alone on the summit with fantastic views. That was really a good trip.




Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-20 of 20
Andino

Andino - Sep 18, 2007 8:07 am - Voted 10/10

Very nice collection...

why not make a Trip Report ;o)

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - Sep 18, 2007 8:14 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very nice collection...

It´s too unspectacular ;-) It was just a nice trip with fantastic views ;-)

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Sep 18, 2007 7:47 pm - Voted 10/10

When...

did you solo climbed Mont Blanc?

Gracias

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - Sep 19, 2007 3:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: When...

Last Saturday. Cheers! Sebastian

Joerg Marretsch

Joerg Marretsch - Sep 19, 2007 1:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Schöne Page ...

... und wie üblich perfekte Bilder. Wollte dieses Jahr (Juli) auch rauf (2. Versuch), aber wegen total besch... Wetter war nur der Gran Paradiso drin. Wäre gern dabei gewesen.
Weiter so - Joerg

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - Sep 19, 2007 2:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Schöne Page ...

Merci Dir!
Gran Paradiso wollte ich eigentlich auch noch direkt dranhängen, aber irgendwie war ich am Sonntag zu geschlaucht ;-) und hab mich für ein paar freie Tag daheim entschieden. Hauptsache Saisonziel erreicht!
Ich wünsche Dir viel Glück beim nächsten Mal, du weißt ja: Aller guten Dinge sind drei ... ;-)
Gruß
Sebastian

Markus80

Markus80 - Sep 19, 2007 3:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Wish I was there!

I appreciate all of these pictures, I just can't find out a favourite one. Must have been extraordinary days on Mt. Blanc!

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - Sep 19, 2007 4:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wish I was there!

Thank you very much. It was just one fine day with extraordinary good conditions.
Cheers!
Sebastian

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - Sep 20, 2007 2:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Ich habe deine Worter gelesen

Danke! Cheers, Sebastian!

Bor

Bor - Sep 28, 2007 4:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice reading!

I am happy that you made so nice ascent in very good condition and I cannot believe that you were alone on the summit. This is really funny :) Congrats!

Cheers!

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - Sep 29, 2007 3:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice reading!

Thank you very much, Bor. Yes it was very amazing to be there alone. I can highly recommend the way I did.
Cheers!

Bor

Bor - Sep 29, 2007 4:48 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice reading!

Yes from now this plan is in my mind :)

cheers!

codelancer

codelancer - Sep 30, 2007 7:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow :)

"On the way up I met three Romanians carrying heavy load for a bivy at Vallot. They were a little bit exhausted and told me they had not done a 4.000m peak before and had not done a acclimatisation trip. I wished them good luck and predict them a sleepless night at Vallot (4.350m!!!)."

Hehe - i know these guys ! I met with Romanians on descent from Tete Rousse, 15th September (i summited MB 14th Sept). I had short discussion and told them that I was slept in Vallot (night from 13th to 14th).

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - Oct 1, 2007 4:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow :)

Yeah, they were funny! So we both missed each other ;-)
But MB was fantastic on these days.
Cheers!

schmid_th

schmid_th - Oct 4, 2007 5:05 am - Voted 10/10

Congratulations!

Top of the Alps! You made a great job!
I´m back at SP! Cheers, Thomas

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - Oct 11, 2007 1:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congratulations!

Merci Dir!
How do you do? What´s about your heart?
Cheers! Sebastian

schmid_th

schmid_th - Oct 12, 2007 3:28 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Congratulations!

I´m feeling better - I will be back in the Alps next year! Cheers, Thomas

marlonwarren

marlonwarren - Dec 8, 2007 8:18 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent album

Sebastian, the solo trips forces one to reflect on many things, but the character that
they build can not be measured in words. I hope you had a great experience.

peace and cheers
marlon

Sebastian Hamm

Sebastian Hamm - Dec 8, 2007 8:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent album

You´re right! It was a fantastic trip and a great experience. Some weeks later I was totally alone on Lagginhorn. This was also fantastic, to know that there is nobody else on such a huge mountain.

http://www.summitpost.org/image/354131/150308/summit-panorama-towards-monte-rosa-and-mischabel.html

ArankaP

ArankaP - Aug 5, 2010 9:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice album

Interesting I was there just a month before you and Icypeak couple week before me......nice coincidence. None of us solo...good job.

Viewing: 1-20 of 20