Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.86754°N / 6.89873°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.6 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: AD
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The traverse of the Pointes Lachenal is a very good, short route that can be done in half a day. Allthough it is a short route on a small, apparently insignificant summit. It is a good acclimatisation route and a good introduction into classic Chamonix mixed terrain. If the route is too short for you, you can climb the Cosmiques ridge on the Aiguille du Midi on the same day.

Getting There

From Chamonix, the approach is very straightforward. Take the Aiguille du Midi cable car. Descend the summitridge to the Vallée Blanche and the Col du Midi. You can see the Pointes Lachenal on the left of the Triangle du Tacul. Go to the eastern summit. The route starts on the wide snow slope.

From the Refuge des Cosmiques, cross the Vallée Blanche and go to the eastern summit.

 
Traverse Pointes Lachenal
 

Route Description

Gain the eastern summit via it's snow slope(45°). Follow the ridge towards the second summit and move to the south side. Rappel 10m to a snowy col(belay in situ). Climb a chimney for 45m (Loose rock)(4a/5.6) and continue to the third summit.

Descend towards the col (danger of serac fall) and go back to the Col du Midi.

 
Traverse Pointes Lachenal
 
Traverse Pointes Lachenal
 

Essential Gear

Glacier gear, rope, helmet, a few cams

Topo: Snow, ice and mixed Vol 2, François Damiliano

 
Traverse Pointes Lachenal
 

External Links

Camp to Camp:
ww.camptocamp.org/routes/54009/en/pointes-lachenal-traverse

My blog:
rockandiceclimbing.blogspot.be

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.