Trenta valley route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.42000°N / 13.80000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike with some rock climbing
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Long and Tough Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description


Trenta valley route: 6-7 hours

Together with Vrata valley route, this is one of two ‘easy’ Razor routes. It is not technically demanding but anyway long and tough. It shortest of all 4 routes and has lowest starting point, which means it is steep. Altitude difference is huge, almost 2000 vertical meters. It is tough to do in one day but if that is your wish this is the route to choose. If not sleep over at Pogacnikov Dom hut.

TRENTA – POGACNIKOV DOM HUT: 4-5h
Starting point of this trail is Zadnjica, Trenta’s side valley. From Kranjska Gora drive over a Vrsic pass (1611m) and descent into Trenta valley, on the other side. Vrsic road has 49 sharp bends. Each one of them is numbered and has altitude height for your information. After the 49th bend road straightens as it reaches the Soca River, which runs through Trenta valley. You continue down the valley till you reach Trenta village. Here, at the sharp bend 50, we leave main road and enter Zadnjica valley. After some 2 kilometers road is closed for public. From here we follow the left road, which will soon get you to the bottom station of Pogacnikov Dom hut load aerial ropeway. Park here. 1 hour on foot from Trenta village.

Wide path begins its gradual ascent in many sharp bends. At the beginning there is nice view on Beli Potok (white water) creek. Path is ascending through the forest, crossing few steep gullies, which on the left, from high above. Once you are out of the forest fantastic view of huge Beli Potok amphitheater or valley opens up. Above are massive cliffs of Planja (2447m) and Pihavec (2414m). Behind Planja, on the left, razor is also visible (2601m). Build path ascends in endless number of sharp bends with fantastic views that get better all the time till it reaches Pogacnikov Dom hut (2050m). At the bottom of the last ascent, in the huge basin, just right of the path is beautiful Spodnje Krisko Jezero (Lower Krisko Lake, 1880m), well worth of a short detour. Hut is 4 hours from the lower station, where you left your car.

POGACNIKOV DOM HUT – RAZOR: 2h
From Pogacnikov Dom hut table will direct you towards Razor and Vrsic, on the west. You can’t mistake that we are going into huge, steep scree basin between Planja (2447m) on the left and Razor (2601m), on the right. Between them is Planja pass (2349m). After some time on the flat path reaches the scree slope bellow Razor’s SE tower. It begins to climb steeply over scree and short section of secured cliffs. Behind this path enters mentioned scree basin. This is very wild place. You ascent steeply all the way to the pass that is reached after some 1.20h. Beautiful view opens towards the west and massive Prisojnik (2547m), which occupies half of the horizon.

On the left is Planja (2447m). We turn right as path ascends steeply over scree to the cave with everlasting snow. Here it turns right and reaches southern shoulder of Razor. View towards Skrlatica (2740m) opens here. Deep behind you (left of Planja) is Zadnjica valley, side valley of Trenta with 1500 meters high western face of Kanjavec (2568m) above it. Path turns left and climbs straight to the summit over broken cliffs (40 minutes from Planja pass). 2 hours from Pogacnikov Dom hut.

View from the summit is very wide on all sides. Some 2000 meters bellow is Trenta valley and shiny Soca River. Triglav shows you its most beautiful face.

Essential Gear


In the period without snow (end June till October) usual hiking gear + helmet and ropes (if you wish) for ferrata sections. In snowy period everything from ice axe, crampons, and helmet to ropes.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

RazorRoutes