Tuxer Joch from Kasern

Tuxer Joch from Kasern

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.08380°N / 11.64310°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The view from Tuxer JochView westwards from Tuxer Joch

The western access to Tuxer Joch and the subsequent climb to Frauenwand is the more popular of the two western routes to the mountain. Part of it runs through the Kaserer Winkl Valley until a steep winding path leads to Tuxer Joch. The saddle is already at 2338m so that only 200m are missing to the Frauenwand summit. However, I would recommend to also climb Weiße Wand, Frauenwand's northern neighbour. Both summits are located close to each other and have almost the same height. Frauenwand is the rockier of the two summits.

Getting There

Follow the "from the north" or "from the south" directions on the main page. At Kasern there is a parking lot at the end of the road and another one at an inn at the mouth of Kaserer Winkl Valley.

Route Description

Schoberspitzen, SchönlahnerspitzeSchoberspitzen, Schönlahnerspitze

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1610m
      - Summit altitude: 2541m
      - Prevailing exposure: W
      - Type: 2 - 3h over marked paths
      - Protection: None
  • Effort: 1000m elevation gain
  • Power: 1 - easy
  • Psyche: 1 - without problems
  • Orientation: 1 - easy

    From Kasern follow the the path #324 to Tuxer Joch (signs. It runs through Kaserer Winkl and passes the inn and a farmhouse close by. Several creeks run down the slopes from each side, all of which have cut deep chutes into the grassy slopes. After a while (20min) you pass a gate after which another 10 minutes lead you to an intersection. The Tuxer Joch trail heads up to the left.

    It winds steeply through the larch forest to the west of Tuxer Joch. The views develop and finally you cross the timberline. Tuxer Joch is only a few steps away. It is marked by a cross and several small cabins. Unfortunately the Tux ski resort has run out of snow in the last years so that now a reservoir is being built to feed the snow machines in winter. Pass this reservoir to its right and you reach a dirt road heading up to the top station of one of the Hintertux ski lifts.

    From the lift you can either head straight up to Frauenwand or - which I would recommend - turn southeast to Weiße Wand first. The views towards the glaciers are better (closer) from this summit and it is only steps apart from Frauenwand. A small ridge connects the two summits, leading to the rocky top of Frauenwand.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear is sufficient. In winter this tour can be done as a ski tour and leads onwar d to Kleiner Kaserer.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.