Via Ferrata del Colodri / Sentiero attrezzato del Colodri

Via Ferrata del Colodri / Sentiero attrezzato del Colodri

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.92686°N / 10.88891°E
Additional Information Route Type: Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: B (on a scala from A (easy) to E (extreme))
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Via Ferrata del Colodri

Monte Colodri is a beutiful rocky peak overlooking the town of Arco in Valle del Sarca. Among climbers Colodri is well-known for its amount of routes (especially in high grades) as well as its easy accessibility along a path starting from Laghel. Actually it has also another attraction: a Via Ferrata. It was build originally to provide climbers an easy descent, but in a short time it was adopted by the lovers of the Vie Ferrate.
The "Ferrata del Colodri" takes place on the East walls facing the Sarca valley and does not present any particular difficulties, it is in fact a classic climb suitable also for beginners who can approach this activity in this way. It is rather short, easy and in its full length equipped with fix ropes. However, it's important to pay attention to the debris present in the upper part and for this reason the use of a helmet is quite recommended. For the complete ascent you should calculate about 1 hour.
The characteristic feature of this route is the combination of simplicity, easy access and the great view you can enjoy from the top. All in all it is a “training-ferrata” with low difficulties that can easily be climbed as a training for most difficult and long via ferratas in the Dolomites.



Monte Colodri, Valle del Sarca
Monte Colodri, Valle del Sarca

Getting There

Cima Colodri, Sarca Valley
Cima Colodri, Sarca Valley

 

Road approach

To reach the town of Arco you drive on the A22 Brennero motorway,  exit Rovereto Sud - Lago di Garda Nord and follow the road 240 in the direction of Riva del Garda, Nago and Arco. At the roundabout in Nago branch right to Arco. Once in Arco di Trento, cross the bridge over the Sarca river and immediately turn right (Via Maini), continue for a few hundred meters until you reach the campsite on the right. On the left there is an information panel and on the right a small parking space.

Route description

The view from Colodri
The view from Colodri

We are in front of the beginning of the "Sentiero Vita". Take the uphill path (431b) which leads to the starting point of the via ferrata through the Prabi boulders in 5 minutes.

Difference in altitude: 300 m
Difficulty: EEA
Maximum altitude: 398 m
Exposure: East
Starting point: Prabi (Arco)

You start to climb slightly oblique to the right on a ramp equipped with a cable. After a traverse to the right and other easy steps you are on a large ledge that leads to the base of a more vertical stretch. Continue obliquely to the left on easy rocks up to a slab with few natural holds but well-equipped. After the slab follows a long oblique stretch to the left. The last vertical section is well equipped with metal brackets, iron pegs and rope. Follow a short path that leads to the cross located on the summit of Colodri at 398m of altitude.

Descent: of course you can descent at the Via Ferrata too, but the descent via Santa Maria di Làghel is worth a walk! From the top of Colodri you descend on the opposite side (West) following a stony path. At the intersection with path n. 431, where you keep left in the direction of the Church of Santa Maria di Laghel. Once you reach the church, follow the road on the left that descends to the old part of Arco. Cross the pedestrian zone and on the other side you will find the road that will lead you to the camping area again.

Me in Via Ferrata Colodri
Via Ferrata Colodri
Gracia & Jules...
Via Ferrata Colodri

Essential Gear

Via Ferrata Colodri Summit
Via Ferrata Colodri Summit

 

 

 

Harness, helmet and Via Ferrata-Set. A helmet is necessary since the route is rather crowded. Climbing shoes are not necessary, usual mountain shoes will do their way.

Red tape

There are no restrictions in climbing, hiking, biking and other open air sport activities. Don't park overnight at the car park.

When to climb 

All year round. Summer mornings sometimes may be hot.

Where to stay

This area is a primary touristic destination, offering several hotels, agriturismo, bed and breakfast, renting rooms and apartments in Arco, Dro and Ceniga. Camping in Arco.

Meteo

Meteotrentino

External Links

Arco Lago di Garda info