Via Ferrata Masaré Rotwand

Via Ferrata Masaré Rotwand

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.42550°N / 11.61997°E
Additional Information Route Type: Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: C
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The via ferrata Masaré Rotwand offers a great keen insight to both sides of the Rosengarten massive.
You also have a great view from the ridge to Marmolada, Brenta and Ortler Alps.
It´s difficult is medium (Rotwand easy, Masaré difficult, completely difficulty C).

Time:
6 hours
From Paolina hut via Rotwand hut to Punta Masaré: 1,5 hours
From Punta Masaré to Rotwand 3 hours
From Rotwand via North ridge to Paolina hut: 1,5 hours

Getting There

By car:

via the highway A22 (Brennero - Modena) get out Egna/Ora and follow the SS48 (Dolomiti road) to Passo San Lugano - Val di Fiemme - Val di Fassa -Passo di Costalunga

or take the entrance Bolzano Nord and follow the SS48 (Dolomiti road) to Passo di Costalunga

by train:

along tha railway Bolzano-Ora F.S.or Trento
Ferrovie dello Stato (Italia)

Route Description

Via ferrata Masaré Rotwand

Starting point:
Mountain station of the chair lift to Paolina hut (2.125 m), the lift starts near the holiday residential area “Carezza” near to the well-known Lago di Carazza.

When you start at the Paolina hut you hike at a trail (No. 539, later 549) to the Christomannos monumental and to the Rotwand hut (2.280 m).
Then orientate left and hike the steepen trail to Punta Masaré (2.585 m).
There the via ferrata starts. First a few meters down and steep through a chute to the crossing at Torre II.
Then climb up and down across the Masaré towers. Then you climb down a chimney of 10 m.
Then another crossing follows (form of an U). After this section you reach a mountain pasture.

At the mountain pasture you go left and follow the path up to Torre di Finestra (a rock tower with a distinctive hole). There is the crux of the via ferrata: a vertical passage of 15 m. 4 m are secured by treads and grips and the following meters are secured by a fixed rope.

After this passage you climb up by a small ladder. Then the easy part of the via ferrata follows to the top of Rotwand (2.806 m).

Top of Rotwand


You descend via the North ridge (also a via ferrata but not very difficult). The North ridge leads down to the Vajolon nick. From the nick you hike to the west to the Hirzel trail (route No. 549). It´s a beautiful trail with a great view to the Rotwand.

Essential Gear

You definitively should have a via ferrata kit and a helmet.

Huts

Paolina hut/Rifugio Paolina (2.127 m):
By Chair lift from Karer Lake 1.620 m or from Costalunga Pass (1.745m). hiking trail (Route No. 548,552)

Rotwand hut/Refuge Roda di Vaèl (2.283 m):
From Refuge Ciampedie (1.998 m) via trail No. 545,
from Costalunga Pass via trail No. 548
from Vigo di Fassa (1.382 m) via trail No. 547 and 545.
from Refuge Paolina via trail 539 and 549.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.