Vrtaca SE ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.44010°N / 14.21260°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble, UIAA I
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up and easy climbing
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Vrtaca/Wertatscha is very popular in recent years. The reason is very free border regime after independence of Slovenia, with May 1st, 2004, when Slovenia entered European Union the border becoming virtually non-issue. The other reason is the road over Ljubelj/Loibl pass, where on the south portal of the tunnel on 1058m the trailhead starts. And more, through most of the year a cable-car can bring you up to Zelenica meadows, where on 1536m the mountain hut stands. Starting there, the ascent on Vrtaca/Wertatscha is only a less than two hours endeavour.

Route Description

From the Zelenica meadows you start walking to the Vrtaca over normal marked route. When you come below a start of SE ridge you must find a best crossing over the dwarf pine and when you scramble this problem you continue over a nice steep grass slope on the ridge. You must climb somewhere around UIAA I but is not too hard. You descend over the normal marked route or by the same route.

Essential Gear

Good hiking shoes.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.