Vulture Lookout

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.41000°N / 89.7°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.2 to 5.12c
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

There are 20 named climbing routes in the bluffs known as Vulture Point ranging from 5.6 to 5.12c, and 20 to 40 feet in length. There are also several low fifth class rated routes that are unnamed. Most people set up top ropes here but you can also climb traditionally.

It's a beautiful area to climb, with expansive views towards the Wisconsin River and valley to the east. There are a lot of trees here which provide welcomed shade during the hot summer months. True to its name, there are usually a dozen or more vultures circling nearby.

Sven Olof Swartling's Climber's Guide to Devils Lake describes all of the routes at Devil's Lake in great detail. The purpose of this route page is not to duplicate the information from the guidebook, but rather to provide a high level overview of the routes at Vulture Point and some photos of the routes which the guidebook does not include.

Getting There

Vulture Lookout is located in the East Bluff, just west of the quarry. The easiest approach is to park at the CCC parking lot. Hike 0.1 mile east on the paved road. Take the CCC Trail up the bluff until you reach the East Bluff trail. Turn east (right) on the East Bluff Trail and follow it 1/4 mile to near the top of the bluff. Look for the largest of the climber's trails that branch off to the right. It will take you to the top of Vulture Point, where you can either set up a top rope, or scramble down to the bottom of the face. (This approach is easier than climbing up through the boulders directly below the bluffs.)

Route Descriptions

A summary of the routes appears below. Refer to Sven Olof Swartling's Climber's Guide to Devils Lake for more detailed route descriptions.


#1 Missing Piece (5.7)
#2 Duracell (5.10c)
#3 Magic Mushroom (5.12b/5.12c)
#4 5.7 crack
#5 5.6 crack
#7 The Energizer (5.9)
#8 The V (5.10d)
#9 5.8 overhanging crack
#10 5.7 crack
#11 5.8 corner / 5.10a thin crack
#12 5.8 crack
#13 Harder by the Climber (5.6)
#14 Split Corner (5.7)
#15 High Step (5.11a)
#16 5.6 inside corner
#17 Tubbs (5.9)
#18 Moss Muffin (5.10b)
#19 5.6 inside corner
#20 5.6 inside corner

Essential Gear

For top roping, medium and large nuts work best. Also bring a lot of webbing; two (2) 20' pieces and one (1) 50' piece, and a few slings.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.