Waterfall canyon, Sandia mountains

Waterfall canyon, Sandia mountains

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Ice Climbing

Approach

You start hiking Piedra Lisa Trail. The trailhead is reached from FR 333, and you park at Piedra Lisa Trailhead. From a parking lot walk north about a quarter of a mile on the dirt road to reach a turn-of to Piedra Lisa Trail. The trail goes up a short slope, then drops down into a canyon after a short distance. At the bottom of this canyon is the intersection of Piedra Lisa trail with Fletcher Trail, and Waterfall Canyon.

Ice climbing

There is 1 really nice waterfall, about 20 meter long, and 1 waterfall with thinner ice and pretty good mixed climbing. I know, nothing much, but still amazing to have something like this available so far south (Albuquerque has a latitude of 35, and so close to the city). I climbed the waterfall 4 or 5 times, and it does make a really nice 1/2 day outing!

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
C Wenker

C Wenker - Dec 14, 2009 1:22 pm - Hasn't voted

A very cool discovery.

Neat to know about this! Did you get any sense if this ice forms up pretty reliably and stays in shape through the winter? Or is it a rare and ephemeral occurrence that will melt out soon if we don't get more snow?
Looks like, maybe a WI2 or WI3 rating?

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Dec 14, 2009 4:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: A very cool discovery.

I think it stays on during the whole water. The main waterfall stays in the shade, but not sure if there would be very warm days... I do not know the rating, but especially the first part is easy. There is a hard access for top roping, but the climb did not seem difficult, and it was my first ice climbing... How are you Chris? Any more ice climbing trips to Colorado?

C Wenker

C Wenker - Dec 15, 2009 10:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: CO

Actually, yeah. I've got an ice trip to the San Juans scheduled for the Xmas break. And, maybe, then another trip in the middle of January.
You attending the ice festival this year?

C Wenker

C Wenker - Feb 2, 2010 9:41 am - Hasn't voted

Found it

We climbed here last weekend; thanks again for posting it.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Feb 2, 2010 10:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Found it

Did you like it? How was the ice?

C Wenker

C Wenker - Feb 3, 2010 10:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Found it

The ice was..... just OK, kinda melted out since your photos. But we take what we can get here in NM, no?

Prettinuce

Prettinuce - Mar 5, 2010 4:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Cool

I guess I should head over there in the winter. I am no climber but the sight is great! I've only been on that trail in the fall and spring when the snow and ice were gone.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Mar 5, 2010 7:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Cool

the waterfall is still there, but the ice is way to soft...

Viewing: 1-8 of 8


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.