Just over the Valais village of Saas Grund there are the buildings of the Weissmieshütten, at 2,726 metres high. The first hut was build as an Hotel in 1894. Later, in 1924, it was ruled by the Olten section of the Swiss Alpine Club (SAC). The second new hut was build next to the old one. Both houses were renovated in the 90's and are still ruled by the SAC Olten section.
The hut has place for 146 people. It has a full service of food and drinks during the time it's open. The sleeping rooms, bathrooms and dependencies are spacious. In winter it has an open 'Winterraum' (winter refuge) with beds and blankets for 14 people, kitchen, oven, S.O.S telephone, firs-aid kit and emergency supplies.
The water at the hut is drinkable.
The hut is the ideal base for the mountains of the Weissmies'Group:
- Weissmies (4,023 m)
- Lagginhorn (4,010 m)
- Fletschhorn (3,996 m)
- Jägihorn (3,206 m) which has a Via-Ferrata/Klettersteig circuit.
The hut is open from mid June till end September.
AccessThe route's description to the hut will come here.
Ruled by the Olten section of the Swiss Alpine Club, the hüttenwart (caretaker of the hut) are Mr. Armin & Mrs. Irma Anthamatten, who live at Saas Grund. Their telephone nr. is: +41 (0)27 9572481. You can phone this number during the winter (when the hut is closed) to get information about the hut or to make reservation for the summer. The family Anthamatten does not speak english.
The ownwer of the hut is Mr. Philipp Stampfli, from Kappel. Tel. nr.: +41 (0)62 2160039
The telephone nr. of the hut itself is: +41 (0)27 9572554. There can be called from mid June till end September, when the hut is open.
Climbs and treks from the hut
- Weissmies (4,023 m): 4-5 hours to the top over the normal route, passing by the lift station of Hohsaas (at 3/4 of hour from hut).
- Lagginhorn (4,010 m): 4-5 hours from the hut over the normal route.
- Fletschhorn (3,996 m): 4 hours from the hut to the summit.
- Jägihorn (3,206 m): 3 1/2 hours Via-Ferrata (Klettersteig), to the top. Or in just 2 hours over the path on the west ridge.
- Hohsaas lift station (from Saas Grund's Unter den Berg) is 3/4 of an hour away from the hut in ascend (30' in descend). A very comfortable way to reach the hut
- The midden station of the lift, called 'Kreuzbodem', (from Saas Grund) is about 3/4 of an hour to the hut in ascend (30'in descend).
- Saas Grund is 2 1/2 hours to the Weissmieshütten.
Cartography and GPS
Landeskarten der Schweiz 1:25.000 Saas 1329 and Simplon 1309
GPS: easting 641665 northing 110413 (datum WGS 84 ~ Swiss grind)
LinksHere will come some interesting links for Weissmieshütten
Additions and Corrections[ Post an Addition or Correction ]