West Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.70700°N / 111.7592°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 Trail, Steep!
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take 3300 South east from Wasatch Boulevard, the road turns north and leads to a parking lot. From here a trail winds around some homes then splits with two different trails leading up seperate ridges towards Grandeur...either can be taken to the summit.

Route Description


We took the slightly more southern trail up...the first part of the climb is very steep trail, then eases up (still steep overall however) all the way up this prominent ridge to the peak. Partway up, the trail from the more northerly ridge joins. We took the northern trail on the descent, it too has some very steep, slippery sections. This route climbs about 3,200 feet in just over two miles and is quite a workout!

Essential Gear


Just a good pair of boots. Because of the western exposure, it's snowfree by about mid-April, and in times of low snow, can easily be climbed in winter.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
rmjwinters

rmjwinters - Mar 23, 2004 3:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

From the trailhead both a 4wd track and a single track head east. Take the single track (right). The single track joins the 4wd track after 50 yards. Back on the 4wd track and hiking south the first left will take you up the gully eventually cresting out on the northernmost ridge. The second left (10 yards further) climbs steeply to the top of the second ridge. I'd recommend this one.

PellucidWombat

PellucidWombat - Feb 8, 2005 1:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

I don't know if you want to incorporate this info, but here's what TOPO! calculated for the route.

Distance: 2.14 mi (1-way)
Elevation Gain: +/-3,287'

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.