Whymper or Veintemilla summit ? (Chimborazo 2005)

Whymper or Veintemilla summit ? (Chimborazo 2005)

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 1.4667°S / 78.8°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 16, 2005
Activities Activities: Mountaineering

About this page

This report is both in English and French. - Français suit plus bas.

English version

CHIMBORAZO Cumbre Whymper (Maxima) 6310 (Ecuador / Andes / Cordilliera Occidental), « El Castillo » route, Alpine grade PD (40 degrees, + 1500m from Refugio Carrel), with a guide of the native community of Guargalla: (June 2005, windy during the night - good weather in the morning).
El Castillo Route (Chimborazo)El Castillo Route

Few days after the ascent of Cotopaxi, I joined Marcial and the three Tyrolean companions in Banos, the "Vichy of Ecuador". We left together towards Chimborazo, the highest mountain in Ecuador, an extinct volcano with 4 distinct summits. The main one is "Cumbre Whymper", named after its conqueror (“assisted” by his Italian guides: Jean Antoine Carrel and Louis Carrel of the French speaking Aoste Valley). The very same Whymper of Ecrins and Matterhorn! This was the third time I was following his tracks…
Marcial drove his 4x4 up to Refugio Carrel, parking it at 4800m: unbelievable, this is the altitude of Mont Blanc! From Refugio Carrel we followed the trail up to the Refugio Whymper at 5000m. It had considerably snowed just prior to our arrival and we found the hut empty, except for the custodian. He told us several parties were actually their earlier but eventually gave-up due to the powder snow… After some discussion, Armin and Tobi also gave-up, estimating they had reached their limit and already paid a fair toll on Cotopaxi. Cristoph, particularly in good shape, decided to give it a try with Marcial. I told them I was going to follow, free climbing as on Cotopaxi. Christoph’s reaction was simply impressive: "stops with that, we are together, we rope up together!" Marcial talked from the same standpoint. This was the kind of pure old time mountain camaraderie that is particularly scarce these days…
Due to the fresh powder snow, Marcial briefed us on the risks of avalanche: "I will check progressively, but if I evaluate the situation as dangerous, we will turn-around immediately". The typical schedule on the El Castillo route is as follows: Leave the hut at midnight, reach the fore-summit "Cumbre Veintemilla" (6267m) as soon as possible (6:00 or 7:00 depending the snow conditions) before the sun transforms the crevassed basin between the 2 summits (a depression of 50m over a distance of 1km) into a sugar pool. Yes, as incredible as it can appear, the sun at the equator and the typical dry weather transform the snow into a kind of sugar like (except for the taste?!) inconsistent powder. This is something I had already experienced as I was completing the descent on Cotopaxi: Very impressive and dangerous… Also, it is compulsory to reach the fore-summit (Veintemilla) early enough so that there is enough time for the traverses (2 X 20 min), the summit celebration (at Cumber Whymper), and the descent in order to be back to the hut at around 10:00 before the route become too dangerous. It is noticeable that most people who summit Chimborazo turn around at Cumbre Veintemilla because they arrive too late for the traverse to Cumbre Whymper. Sometimes their guides do not even bother telling them about the “bump” they see a km further… and 50 m higher! Why taking the risk of having to waste crucial time when there is still such a sensitive descent to undertake, the might think to themselves…
The Veintimilla summit as...Veintemilla Summit

At mid-night, we left the hut to face the ascent in the powder snow. Marcial, in very good shape, broke trail and checked snow conditions every now and then. We continued moving forward as each time he estimated we could do so with respect to the avalanche risk. Marcial had put Christoph between him and me. Christoph laboured but held out. Me behind, I laboured simply too much! Starting at 5500m, I needed breaks. At 5800m, I started to stagger! This is my personal warning: at this stage, I can continue on 50m or 100m of elevation but I believe pushing more can be dangerous. I spoke about it with the others and I proposed to go down and let them continue because they were on time to make the traverse. Marcial rejected my proposal, "we are a party and if one of us must turn around we turn around all together". That made me feel bad, I was jeopardising Christoph and Marcial’s ascent and Marcial was even not officially my guide… It was very embarrassing. I reminded them that I could free descent as they saw it on Cotopaxi. Christoph interrupted me, "you know I am also tired, we descent all together". And so we did. I thought to my self: "yes, Christoph is tired but less than I am. With well managed breaks and pace, he could have made it at least to Veintemilla bagging his first 6000m… Moreover, and unlike me, he has a flight to take few days later and thus no chance for a second bid…" Back to the hut, I apologized again, but he didn’t want to hear anything: "we ascended together, it is normal that we descend together" Marcial also reassured me, saying under the present conditions, we would not have made the traverse towards the true summit (Whymper): "We would have been in chest-deep snow!" Yet, he knew as well that without me in the party, his customer would have made it to his first 6000m at Veintemilla, like many other happy alpine tourists… Bottom-line, that day on Chimborazo, I experienced true alpine solidarity.
We left the volcano all together. The Tyroleans were now headed back home. I financially rewarded Marcial for his services and we left each other in Latacunga as he had other customers arriving from Europe and I was decided to give the highest of the Ecuadorian volcanoes another try before I loose to much of my acclimatisation.

Remembering that the Guargalla native guides (see the Sangay and Iliniza Norte trip reports) also proposed the ascent of Chimborazo for a very interesting price, I contacted them and 3 days later, I was back to Refugio Carrel with Paco !
Chimborazo as seen from...at the trailhead

I did not really understand why, but Paco did not want to go 200m higher, to sleep in Refugio Whymper: "too much noise, too much of… we will not be able to sleep well…" I accepted not to irritate him; nevertheless, I asked him how we were going to do to reach Veintemilla at 6 / 7 o’clock, knowing that to the usual 1300m of elevation we now had to add 200 other meters! From Paco’s reaction, I sensed he was actually not thinking of having to go for the Whymper summit, the actual top of the mountain! After "discussions", we decided to leave at 23:00, to take a break at Refugio Whymper, to rush up the fore-summit, and then, once at Veintemilla, to consider the situation. It was now clear to me: to be able to reach the actual summit (Whymper), it was necessary to reach the fore-summit (Veintemilla) at 6:00 max. (sunrise) if not, Paco would take it over! Thus, +1470m to climb in 7 hours in an altitude in the 5000 / 6000m range… I was convinced the whole thing was possible as the snow that had fallen few days before had have time to harden.

We followed our plan and left the hut at 23:00. With us on the El Castillo route that night, there were about twenty Ecuadorian soldiers who had started their climb from a camp at 5100m, and 3 French guys from Marseille (“allez l’OM!”) and their 2 Ecuadorian guides who had started theirs from Refugio Whymper (5000m). One of the French and his guide reached Veintemilla at about 5:15 and turned around. The first 2 ropes of the army reached the same fore-summit at about 5:20 and started to celebrate! We arrived there at about 5h30. Paco started to congratulate me, but I told him the time it was, the sun had not raised yet, "we can give the traverse a try". Paco was a fair player, he accepted!
Guides do not like to break trail in the snowy basin at + 6000m for a km or so; and one can easily understand that! Fortunately, the snow had still some consistency and we would just have to struggle in 30 cm of it! The soldiers, seeing us continuing, asked us where we were going! "To the summit, off-course!” highly surprised they replied: "Isn’t it here, the summit?" Paco pointed to the “bump”, a km away…
6:00, we were very close and… “Shit, there is a #@& bergschrund several meters large to cross!” Paco tried 2 or 3 other crossing points, but I heard him shout "chuchcha!"… That sounded really bad. The summit was only 50m from us with a remaining elevation of 10m! He came back to me, sorry, "there is no snow bridge and we do not have time to do a detour if we want to avoid facing the sugar during our descent". I was starting to accept this idea when suddenly, in the opposite direction, I saw a snow cluster 50m from us: "can we check that one?" Paco went over there very quickly, looked back at me affirmatively and asked me to tighten the rope. He crossed the bergschrund on a last-chance snow-bridge! I followed him and behind me, about fifteen Ecuadorian soldiers did so! We congratulated each other on the top of the "bump" that stands for the actual summit and without wasting too much time, started to consider the descent. It was 6:20; we had to hurry to avoid having to “swim” in the snow basin.

We were back to Refugio Whymper on time (10:00): I was really exhausted! I allowed myself a long break while Paco continued towards the lower Refugio Carrel. I caught him there at about noon and we had a well deserved snack while waiting for our 4x4.

Version française

CHIMBORAZO Cumbre Whymper (Maxima) 6310 (Equateur / Andes / Cordilliera Occidental), voie « El Castillo », PD (40 degrés, + 1500m depuis Refugio Carrel), avec un guide de la communauté autochtone de Guargalla, (juin 2005 / beau temps)
Cumbre WhymperWhymper summit

Quelques jours après l’ascension de Cotopaxi, je retrouvais Marcial et les trois potes de Tyrol à Banos, un peu le « Vichy de l’équateur ». On est parti ensemble vers Chimborazo la montagne la plus haute d’Equateur. Il s’agit d’un volcan éteint qui a 4 sommets le plus haut étant « Cumbre Whymper » du nom de son vainqueur (aidé par ses guides italiens: Jean Antoine Carrel et Louis Carrel de la Vallée d’Aoste). Oui c’est le même Whymper de la Barre des Ecrins et du Cervin et me voilà à nouveau sur ses traces... Ici, on peut monter en voiture jusqu’au Refuge Carrel à 4800m, à l’altitude du Mont Blanc! De là, un sentier monte au Refuge Whymper à 5000m. Manque de bol, il venait de neigé quand on est arrivé sur place... On monte au refuge Whymper et le trouvons vide à part le gardien qui nous informe que personne n’est resté pour se lancer dans une ascension dans la poudreuse… Après discussion, Armin et Tobi jettent l’éponge, ils estiment avoir atteint leur limite au Cotopaxi. Cristoph lui est particulièrement en forme, il va y aller avec Marcial. Moi je les informe que je vais les suivre en libre comme au Cotopaxi. La réaction de Christoph m’a alors impressionné : « arrête avec ça, on est ensemble, on s’encorde à 3 et on y va ! » Marcial intervient dans le même sens. C’était de la pure camaraderie de montagne telle qu’il en subsiste peu de nos jours… Marcial nous alerte sur les risques d’avalanche : « je vérifierai au fur et à mesure, mais si j’estime que c’est dangereux, on fait demi-tour. ». Le planning sur le Chimborazo par El Castillo est le suivant : Départ à minuit, arrivée à l’ante cime « Cumbre Veintemilla » (6267m) le plutôt possible (6h ou 7h suivant les conditions de neige) avant que le soleil ne transforme la cuvette crevassée entre les 2 sommets (une dépression de 50m sur une distance de 1km) en un bassin de sucre. Oui, aussi incroyable que cela puisse paraître, le soleil à l’équateur transforme la neige en un genre de poudre sans consistance qui a très peu de différence avec le sucre (sauf le goût ? !) Je l’avais bien vu sur la fin de la descente au Cotopaxi. C’est assez impressionnant et dangereux… Donc il faut arriver à l’ante cime suffisamment tôt pour avoir le temps de faire la traversée en 2 x 20 min + 20 min au sommet Whymper, et descendre à toute vitesse pour se retrouver au refuge Whymper vers 10h avant que la voie ne devienne trop dangereuse. Il est à noter que 80% des gens qui font l’ascension du Chimborazo s’arrêtent à l’ante cime (Sommet Veintemilla) car ils arrivent trop tard pour traverser la cuvette entre les 2 sommets. Parfois les guides ne prennent même pas la peine de leur dire que la butte qu’ils voient 1 km plus loin est de 50 m plus haut ! Ils ne veulent pas prendre le risque de perdre encore davantage de temps, crucial pour la descente…

Cette nuit là, on est donc parti faire la trace dans la poudreuse. Marcial, en superbe forme ouvrait la trace et vérifiait l’enneigement. On continuait à avancer car il estimait que le risque d’avalanche était faible. Marcial avait mis Christoph entre lui et moi. Christoph peinait mais tenait le coup. Moi derrière, je peinais tout simplement trop ! A partir de 5500m, j’ai besoin de « poses »… A partir de 5800m je commence à tituber ! C’est mon alarme personnelle, à ce stade je veux bien continuer sur 50m ou 100m mais estime que pousser d’avantage serait dangereux. J’en parle aux autres en proposant de descendre seul et de les laisser continuer car ils sont dans les temps pour faire la traversée des 2 sommets. Marcial rejette ma proposition, « on est une cordée, si un de nous doit descendre, on descend ensemble ». Ca m’embête, je suis en train de gâcher la course de Christoph et Marcial n’est même pas officiellement mon guide… C’est très embarrassant. Je leur rappelle que je peux descendre en libre comme ils l’ont vu sur le cotopaxi. Christoph me coupe, « tu sais je suis aussi fatigué, on descend ensemble ». On fait alors demi-tour… Je pense tout seul : « oui, il est fatigué Christoph mais moins que moi. Avec des poses et un rythme bien gérés, il aurait pu atteindre au moins l’ante cime et ainsi faire son premier 6000m. En plus, contrairement à moi, il a un vol à prendre dans quelques jours qui lui enlève la possibilité d’une seconde tentative… » Au refuge, je lui fais mes excuses, mais il ne veut rien entendre : « on est monté ensemble, s’il y avait à descendre, c’est normal qu’on descende ensemble. » Marcial, quant à lui me rassure en disant que dans ces conditions on n’aurait de toute façon pas fait la traversée vers le vrai sommet (Whymper) : « On se serait retrouvé dans la neige jusqu’à la poitrine ! » Mais lui aussi savait très bien que sans ma présence, son client aurait fait son premier 6000m au Veintemilla, comme 80% des autres touristes… Brefs, ce jour là j’ai vécu la vraie solidarité alpine. Les Tyroliens avaient à repartir chez eux. A mon tour j’ai tenu à récompenser financièrement Marcial pour ses services et on s’est séparé (il avait d’autres clients qui arrivaient d’Europe).
Fashion victim!Ecuadorian Fashion victim!

Je me suis alors rappelé que les guides autochtones de Guargalla proposaient également l’ascension du Chimborazo pour un prix très intéressant. J’ai fait appel à eux et 3 jours plus tard, je me retrouvais avec Paco au refuge Carrel. Je n’ai pas vraiment compris pourquoi, mais il ne tenait pas à aller 200m plus haut au refuge Whymper : « trop de bruit, trop de… on dormira pas bien… ». J’ai accepté pour ne pas le contrarier mais lui ai quand même demandé comment on allait s’y prendre pour arriver à Veintemilla pour 6h/7h sachant qu’aux 1300m de dénivelé on devait ajouter 200m de plus ! C’est là que j’ai senti que Paco ne pensait pas avoir à faire le sommet Whymper en plus ! Apres « discussions », on a décidé de se casser à 23h, faire une pose au refuge Whymper, et filer sur le premier sommet et de considérer le cas une fois la haut. Pour moi ça devenait clair : Pour avoir une chance de faire le sommet principal, il fallait être à l’ante cime à 6h max. (Levée du soleil) ou alors Paco prendrait le dessus ! Donc +1470m à faire en 7 heures dans les 5000m / 6000m : ça me paraissait jouable d’autant plus que la neige tombée quelques jours plutôt avait eu le temps de se transformer. Ce jour là, sur la voie il y avait une vingtaine de soldats équatoriens qui partaient d’un camp à 5100m, ainsi que 3 Marseillais et leur 2 guides équatoriens qui partaient du refuge du haut (5000m). Un des Français et son guide ont atteint Veintemilla vers 5h15 et sont redescendus ( ?!) Les 2 premières cordées de l’armée eux y étaient à 5h20 et ont commencé à fêter ! Nous on y est arrivé vers 5h30. Paco commence à me féliciter, mais je lui montre l’heure, le soleil ne s’est pas encore levé, « on peut tenter la traversée ». Paco est bon joueur, il accepte. Les guides n’aiment pas faire la trace dans cette cuvette et on les comprend ! Mais heureusement pour nous la neige avait encore un peu de consistance et on ne s’enfonçait que de 30 cm ! Les militaires nous voyant continuer nous demandent où nous allons ! « Au sommet voyons ! ». La surprise est grande sur leur visage : « voyons, c’est pas là, le sommet ?» et Paco de leur montrer la butte la-bas à 1 km ! A 6h00 on y est tout près et… merde : il y a une p… de rimée large de plusieurs mètres à traverser ! Paco essaye 2 / 3 passages, mais je l’entends crier « chuchcha ! ». Ça s’annonce mal, et le sommet est là à 50m et + 10m à peine ! Il revient vers moi désolé « il y a pas de pont et on n’a pas le temps pour faire un grand détour si on veut éviter le sucre à la descente». Je commence à me faire à cette idée quand tout a coup, dans la direction opposée je vois un amas de neige à 50 m de nous : « on peut voir ça ? ». Paco y fuse de toute vitesse, hoche la tête et me demande de tendre la corde. Il passe la rimée sur un pont inespéré ! Je le suis et juste derrière moi une quinzaine de soldats équatoriens en font autant ! On se félicite sur le « ballon » qui fait office de sommet et sans trop perdre de temps, on entame la descente. Il est 6h20 il faut se dépêcher si on ne veut pas nager dans la cuvette. On finit au Refuge Whymper dans les temps (10h) : je suis vraiment claqué ! Je m’octroie une longue pose pendant que Paco continue vers le refuge du bas. Je le retrouve vers midi pour une pose casse-croûte ! Je crois bien que celle-la, on ne l’a pas volée !


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
JoelSkok

JoelSkok - Mar 11, 2018 11:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Very complete description! 10/10

I got some solace through the banter between you guys, was duly impressed by the "we go up as a team, we go down as a team" mantra and the professionalism of Marcial. Very elating to read! And my congratulations to all of you!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

ChimborazoTrip Reports