Winnebacher Weißkogel

Winnebacher Weißkogel

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.11050°N / 11.06240°E
Additional Information Elevation: 10439 ft / 3182 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This mountain has very nice views in every direction and is not dodged by larger ones in the vicinity. Most of the ascent is easy, only the last 200m over a not-dangerous small glacier and the final 50m through a short couloir, which may be icy in summer, are slightly technical.
The mountain is not one of the most frequented in the area (in August, September and October 2005, there were not more than 10 Entries in the summit log).

Getting There

The Trailhead is in Lüsens/Sellrain Valley 1634m (Inntal-Autobahn; exit at Zirl Ost; go towards Kühtai and turn off to Lüsens at Gries; follow signs to Lüsens). Follow either the Winter Trail (along the Valley and the steep up to the right) or the nicer Summer Trail which starts behind the Gasthaus and gradually climbs up on the right side of the valley to the Westfalenhaus (2276m). From there, follow the path to the Winnebachjoch (2782 m). The first part is very flat, at heigth 2600 m there is a steeper step for about 60 m, than flat again. Very easy and nice way mainly over grass and fine rubble. Up to Winnebachjoch 1 1/4 h.
Then turn right (north direction, much steeper and straight ahead ), following foot tracks on rubble to the beginning of the east ridge (roughly 2960 m). Up to here 1 3/4 h. Then turn left again (east direction), again following foot tracks and cairns, directly on the ridge (solid rock, snow and rubble, 2 steep climbing places (I) ) to reach a flattening (2 1/2 h). Then again quite steep through a channel (I, 60 m) to the flat and large top. All in all 2 3/4 h (I). Thanks DHantke for the additional info.



Red Tape

3 Euro Parking Fee in Lüsens. Standard rates at the Westfalenhaus, none in off-season (Winter Room).

When To Climb

The mountain is being climbed year round, but mainly in summer. In winter, back country skiing is possible, but the actual mountain is steep and might be dangerous because of avalanches.

Camping

Camping is allowed. Huts in the vicinity are the Westfalenhaus and the Winnebachseehütte on the Ötztal side (the other way to approach the mountain).


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sellrainer BergeMountains & Rocks