Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 9, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

In a hurry..you can do this

We made itWe made it!

Matt"My phone is down there...somewhere"

going down a crackOn phone rescue, going down into the crack


My boys Mark and Matt came down from New York during Spring Break and today they were going home but first we wanted to go do something. We only had a short time period and we weren't sure what to do. We would have had more time if teenage kids knew how to get up in the morning. I decided we'd try Annapolis Rocks from Rt 40.

We hit the trail soon after nine and made our way quickly up the trail. It was a beautiful morning and the temperature was cool making the hiking easy. In under an hour we made the side trail to Annapolis Rocks. Not bad time. I figured out we had about 20-30 minutes to enjoy the rocks before we needed to head back, so we made the best of it. Views were nice, the rocks fun, the time together great. As we prepared to leave Matts cell phone fell out of his pocket and down into a crack in the rocks. So Dad made the sacrifice and went down over the edge. Climbing down ten feet or so to a landing I looked back up the crack and slithered my way in. It was tight and dark and couldnt see much. We called his phone to get it to ring so maybe we could tell where it was but it was on vibrate. Besides he never got the call since "can you hear me now" doesnt get service in a crack of rock on top of South Mountain. I got up in the crack as far as I could and thought I saw it, stretched my arm to its length and grabbed a phone. Back to the trail after some unplanned rock climbing! We made it back to the trailhead in good time and got home just in time. A Short but good time!

Spring in the air and earth

fernsFerns


Witch Hazel was flowering, Bloodroot was poking out. Cabbage Whites and comma's were flittering about. Brown Thrashers sang, Eastern Pheobe's called. Robins and migrant hawks were all about. What a wonderfull time of year! All together we had seen r heard 26 species of bird. Migrants included those above and Chipping Sparrow, Brown-headed Cowbird, Hermit Thrush, Eastern Towhee, Pine Warbler, and a few left over "winter birds"...White-throated Sparrow and Pine Siskin.

Images

Mattenjoying the view
the rocksThe rocks
Heading up the trailUp the trail
MarkMark
MattMatt


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
EastKing

EastKing - Apr 15, 2009 12:18 am - Voted 10/10

Annapolis Rocks

I always wanted to rock climb there when I lived in Maryland. Good TR!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Annapolis RocksTrip Reports