Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.54979°N / 77.6033°W
Additional Information County: Washington
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 1700 ft / 518 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ferns




Annapolis Rock is a rock cliff that rises above Cumberland Valley to the west, offering a fine view of the valley and of Greenbrier Lake. The rocks attract day hikers, rock climbers, photographers, picnickers, bird watchers and seekers of solitude, as well as overnight campers.

Highlights: Annapolis Rock offers a fine view of Greenbrier Lake and Cumberland Valley to the west. Continue north on A.T. one mile to Black Rock, which also offers a westward view.

Getting There

Destination: Annapolis Rock (elevation (1700')
Access Point: Parking lot on Route 40, one-quarter mile east of
Difficulty: Moderate
Distance: 2.2 miles from the south, 6.3 from the north

From the south a trail head parking area is located along US 40 to reach this From the east, on I70, take the Meyersville exit. Turn right onto Wolfsville Rd (MD 17) in the center of Myersville, then turn left on US 40 There is room for about 20 cars at two pullovers just before US 40 crosses over I-70. From the parking area cross over an embankment and follow the closed section of the old highway. At the end of the highway take a left and a path along the gaurdrail. You will descend sharply to the footbridge that crosses over I-70. At the footbridge turn right and follow the fence line along I-70 west. Follow the AT approx 2.2 miles to blue side trail marked Annapolis Rock.


A longer route from the north can be reached by parking at Wolfville Rd (MD17). From I-70 take exit 35 and proceed north on Myersville rd. After 4.8 miles turn right on MD 64 and in 1.2 Miles turn right on Foxville Rd. Another .2 miles turn right on Wolfsville Rd and go 1.4 miles to the AT crossing and another .1 miles to a small parking area on the left. Enough room for 3 cars. Hike back to the AT and hike south 6.3 to the blue side trail to Annapolis Rock.

Red Tape

This area has been highly over used, camping only allowed in designated areas. For more details read here. Help protect the beauty of the trail by following Leave No Trace practices -- leave nothing but footprints, and take nothing from the trail but memories.

Camping

Camping is allowed in the immediate vacinity but only at designated sites. There is a spring nearby. Camping is also allowed at Pogo Memorial Campsite
Pogo
another 1.6 miles north or at the Pine Knob Shelter just north of the trailhead at Route 40.
Pine Knob ShelterPine Knob Shelter

Rock Climbing

Annapolis Rocks is heavily climbed despite the 2.5 mile hike up a fairly steep trail to get there. There are several outcrops at Annapolis Rocks and routes from easy to aid. The famous Nixon's Nose route is featured on the cover of Eric Horst's Mid-Atlantic Climbing. The other classic route in the area is Black Crack (5.9) with some exciting bulges and steep jam-crack climbing. Unfortunately, Annapolis Rocks is often crowded with adventure groups and getting a route on summer weekends is a challenge.

I do not do any rock climbing (as of yet), so I dont have much info on it, but Annapolis Rocks is one of the more popular rock climbing areas in Maryland. If anyone has more detailed info please add it!!

External Links

White Blaze.net
Appalachian Trail Conservancy
Patomic Appalachian Trail Club
South Mountain State Park

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

South MountainMountains & Rocks
 
Mountains of MarylandMountains & Rocks