A variation on the Quilcayhuanca - Cojup trek

A variation on the Quilcayhuanca - Cojup trek

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing, Hiking, Flora, Scenery, Panorama, Water

Early days

I had arrived in Huaraz less than a week before and was looking for partners. As I would learn in the following weeks, sometimes that happens quickly, but mostly it takes a bit of time. I had put up notes in several local hangouts, and posted my intentions in the Plans & Partners section.

Keeping busy

In the mean time, I decided to climb some easy mountains that would probably have a trail, which would mean that the chance of dissappearing in a crevasse wouldn't be too high. The first one had been Vallunaraju, and the trail was excellent. What next?

I asked around, and learned that Maparaju and Jatunmontepuncu were suitable. And so I bought supplies for a couple of days and headed off to the Quilcayhuanca valley.

It's a relatively quiet valley, but not completely devoid of people. On the first day, I met a group of three climbers near the entrance to Quebrada Cayesh, and two days later I passed an empty camp deeper in Quebrada Quilcayhuanca. On the last day, while descending from Jatunmontepuncu down to Quebrada Cojup, I met a group of hikers who were on the Quilcayhuanca - Huapi pass - Cojup trail.

On Maparaju, there was indeed a trail to follow. Jatunmontepuncu worked out quite different than planned - but that's another story.

For now, enjoy the pictures!

External Links

I stayed at Edward's Inn in Huaraz. Edward, who happens to be a mountain guide, is very knowledgeable about the Cordillera Blanca. He helped me put together this plan.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
BLong

BLong - Feb 18, 2012 9:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Great work!

Nice images. Thanks for sharing them :)

What did you end up climbing?

rgg

rgg - Feb 21, 2012 2:06 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great work!

Vallunaraju before this Quilcayhuanca trip, Maparaju and Jatunmontepuncu during, and Urus Este, Tocclaraju, Pisco, Huascarán Norte, Uruashraju, Ishinca, Yanapaccha, Huascarán Sur and Chopicalqui after.
Looks like a lot, but there are many, many more, so I guess I'll have to go back some day!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2