Carn An Righ

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 56.87844°N / 3.59116°W
Additional Information County: Aberdeenshire
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3376 ft / 1029 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Carn An Righ (meaning 'hill of the King' in Gaelic) stands at 1029m and is the remote western outlier of the Cairnwell-Glen Tilt assemblage and stands rather distantly between Glen Shee and Glen Tilt, it is one of most inacessible hills in the eastern grampians situated far from any public road. Carn an Righ is rounded hill with plenty of scree on its upper slopes and provides easy walking typical of eastern Grampian Hills.

The back end of Glen Shee


Access is most simple from Dalmunzie by either reaching the hill by walking over Glas Tuliachean or tramping up Gleann Taitneach for mile upon boring mile to reach Lochan nan Eun and therewith break out southwest to the hill itself.



However walking the hill is not the only way. Cross-country skiers also bag this munro when (and increasingly a rare if) there is sufficient snow cover. It is an excellent and well-recommended route across rough terrain from either Glen Lochsie (where the walk commonly starts) or the Glenshee Ski centre via Loch Vrotechan.







Carn an Righ is surrounded by a number of mountains that can be done in combination with it:

- Glas Tulaichean
- Beinn Iutharn Mhor
- Carn Bhac
- An Socach

These combinations can make long munro-bagging rounds from Glen Ey or Glen Lochsie.


Getting There

Access from the central belt (i.e. Edinburgh and Glasgow) is very simple. The M90 across the Forth Road Bridge can be followed from Edinburgh to Perth where the reader should turn off and follow the signs for Blairgowrie and the A93. Follow the A93 north through Bridge of Cally until you turn off at the Spittal of Glenshee and take the track 2km down to the Dalmunzie Hotel where parking is avaliable to start the walk.

During winter, the road may be closed at points along Glen Shee so it is worth checking road conditions at www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/travel.

From Aberdeen take the A93 past Banchory and Ballater to Braemar and the Cairnwell Pass where on the south side lies the Spittal of Glenshee. From Inverness or further north take the A9 south to Pitlochry where you turn off to take the A924 to Kirkmichael and then the B950 to meet the A93 about 6 miles south of the Spittal.

The view looking North fron the summit

Red Tape

There are no restricitons on access due to the Land Reform Act (Scotland) of 2003 except during the Stalking season when caution must be taken not to get shot, but this is unlikely as shooting parties rarely frequent this wild and distant area prefering the most bountiful hunting grounds to the east and south.


Camping and accomodation

Wild Camping is popular in this area but if you are a strong walker there is no pressing need to camp out unless you want to. If you are wild camping it would be prudentto let either the Dalmunzie Hotel or the people at the Spittal
know where you are going.

Notable sites include anywhere beside Lochan nan Eun or the upper reaches of Gleann Mor but this may become very boggy after rain of any sort. Higher sites may be preferable after that sort of weather and good campsites may include the col between Mam nan Carn and Carn an Righ or the glen between Mam nan Carn, Beinn Iutharn Mhor and Beinn Ithuarn Bheag.


Lochan nan Eun




There are a number of notable B and B's in the area. For those looking for a more expensive experience the Royal Hotel in Blairgowrie may be suitable if you are willing to drive to start points. the Dalmunzie Hotel itself is good hotel and will provide a decent night's sleep before a long walk in the morning.

The Spittal of Glenshee itself has rooms and gives good service however shabby the buliding looks.
Gulabin Lodge,a very cosy bunkhouse across the road is run by the local Ski School instructor and provides a very good service.

There are also a number of good B&Bs in Blairgowrie but many do not have websites so look at the Scottish Tourist Board for more infomation






The long walk out!

External Links

For more infomation consult the SMC's book The Munros and for Ski mountaineering the SMC's book Ski Mountaineering in Scotland.