Cascade via Dry Fork

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 15, 2012
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall

Cascade Via Dry Fork

Shingle Mill


Trailhead: We took the Dry Fork Trail head. Up 8th North in Orem to provo canyon, right at the squaw peak road (paved), and continue past hope campground (grated) and just past the rock canyon campground (not suitable for passenger cars). There was space for two cars to park right by the trailhead. The trail is marked as Trail 060. The trail goes up the canyon and switches back beneath shingle mill peak. This photo looks back at Shingle mill from about 3 miles into the hike.






Maintained Trail

After passing Shingle Mill Peak, the trail angles up to the ridge line. At the top it meets another trail that goes down Big Springs into provo canyon. There's also some sort of watering tank at the top, but it was full dead mormon crickets. So I wouldn't drink it.

Cascade Mountain Trail

This 360 image was taken where the trail first comes to the ridge. Shingle Mill and freedom peak are to the right. The ridgeline of Cascade is to the left, and appears more distant.

Ridge Climbing

Ridge Scramble


Once you get to the ridge line, you have to follow it north to the summits. The ridge-line can be very jagged, but generally the valley side is more passable. Take whatever game trail you can find, but keep the ridge close at hand. GPS tracking is highly recommended for this part of the route. Every time we left the ridge line, we had to either fight hard to climb back up, or got disoriented.






An Awesome Hike

Cascade Fall Colors


Stats:
Elevation: 7122 to 10886
Total Ascent: 6467 feet (same amount for total descent)
Distance: 14.0 miles
Time: 11 hours 58 minutes 44 seconds
Moving Time: 7:59:20
Stopped Time: 3:59:24
Average Speed (overall): 1.2 mph

Found: Lost Knife. Contact me (with a detailed description) if you think it might be yours.



Wildlife:
Great Horned Owl
Golden Eagle
Diamond Back Rattlesnake
Raven
Mountain Goats
Trilobite (long since dead)
Trilobite





Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Cascade MountainTrip Reports