Chilkoot Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 59.69549°N / 135.24788°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Gumption required
Sign the Climber's Log

History

Packers on the Chilkoot Pass

Under Constuction - Please check back later.

Getting There

Room with a view!Getting there is half the fun!


The trail is typically hiked from south to north, i.e. from Alaska into British Columbia. Skagway, Alaska is the logical jumping off point for hikers on the Chilkoot.
Skagway is not easy to reach from the Lower 48, but the trip is an enjoyable one. The town of 800 people (population can into the thousands when cruise ships are in town) can be reached by air, road or water.

Getting to Skagway


By ferry: The Alaska Marine Highway Ferry System has regular service to Skagway from Bellingham, Washington and year round, with more frequent trips during the summer. Travel time is 3 - 4 days and you may pitch a tent right on the upper deck of the ship.
There is also ferry service from Prince Rupert, British Columbia to Skagway. Website Alaska Marine Highway Ferry System
MV ColumbiaMV Columbia, Alaska Marine Highway System


By road: Bus Service is available from Whitehorse, Yukon to Skagway daily in the summer. Travel time: 3 hours. Gray Line Yukon

By Air: Daily jet service to Juneau, Alaska from the Lower 48. From there a 7 hour ferry ride to Skagway.

Dyea Dave s Shuttle VanDyea Dave's shuttle van

Getting to the trailhead


The trailhead is approximately 9 miles from Skagway via gravel road at the site of the now defunct town of Dyea. You can walk or negotiate a shuttle in town. We used a fellow named Dyea Dave, a self-proclaimed Know-It-All with lots of character. $40 for 6 hikers.

Route Description

Boardwalks on the Chilkoot Trail
Crater Lake
Hiking out of the clouds
The Golden Stairs, Chilkoot Pass

Essential Gear

Add Essential Gear text here.

External Links

U.S. National Park Service Chilkoot Trail Page

Parks Canada Chilkoot Trail Page

Alaska Marine Highway Ferry System

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.