Cima Valles

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.33236°N / 11.80228°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7562 ft / 2305 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cima Valles 2305 m

Cima Valles 2305 m, together with Cima Caladora and Cima Venegiota, belongs to a long ridge located at the Northern end of the Pale di San Martino group and dividing the Val Venegia from the upper Valle Biois. They are minor peaks with gentle slopes and mostly grassy ridges and easily reachable, but with great panoramic interest thanks to the magnificent views of the nearby grandiose walls of Pale di San Martino. 

Cima Valles
Cima Valles
Marmolada seen from Cima Valles
Marmolada seen from Cima Valles

 

 

 

Cima Valles 2305 m, also called Cima Venegia, is therefore a minor summit, overhelming Passo Valles 2032 m, an alpine col located between Falcade and Predazzo, on the border between Veneto and Trentino, to the north of the splendid Val Venegia and the severe group of the Pale di San Martino. The pass is of course the starting point for different hikes, including the normal ascent route to Cima Valles. The short route and the simple and not very strenuous track make it a suitable excursion having only half a day available, or on days of uncertain weather.

 

 

Infinity
The Dolomites seen on the way to Forcella Venegia

Getting There

Wooden chapel above Passo Valles
Wooden chapel above Passo Valles

 

From the Brenner motorway, exit Ora and then follow the signposts to Cavalese. Follow the state road reaching the Passo di S.Lugano and drive along the SP232 up the Val di Fiemme to the town of Predazzo, where you leave the state road that proceeds in the direction of Val di Fassa and take the road SS50 towards Passo Rolle up to Paneveggio. Pass Paneveggio and take the branch on the left to Passo Valles (about 2.4 km after the Forte Buso - Paneveggio dam). After 2.7 kilometers the road reach Passo Valles  2032 m. Leave the car at the car park on the right located at the foot of Val Venegia.

Route

Cima Valles from Passo Valles

Difficulty: EEA
Difference in level: 280 m 

 

Easy short walk on a panoramic summit.

Meetings on Cima Valles
Meetings on Cima Valles
Summit of Cima Valles
Summit of Cima Valles

From Passo Valles 2031 m in front of the refuge the path starts (n. 751 and Alta Via delle Dolomiti) and climbs decisively over pasture land. The steep section is equipped with steps reinforced with wooden planks. After the first climb, the path begins the very long traverse to the left along steep grassy slopes, moving under the upper saddle (Forcella Venegia) that divides Cima Valles to the right from Cima Caladora to the left. With a few hairpin bends we are soon at the marked Forcella Venegia 2215 m from which the view of Val Venegia and Pale di San Martino opens up. At the saddle we are dominated on the right by the grassy slopes of Cima Valles, also known as Cima Venegia. The path that climbs from the saddle to the top is not marked, but the itinerary is obvious, following the edge of the ridge keeping just to the left. Without difficulties we quickly reach the highest point with a magnificent view.  From the top, a look towards the underlying Passo di Valles allows to appreciate the overhanging wall that falls in the direction of the pass.

Huge Alpenroses, Cima Valles
Huge Alpenroses, Cima Valles

Red Tape

Horses on Passo Venegia, back the Cimon della Pala
Horses on Passo Venegia, back the Cimon della Pala

 

 

No fees no permits required

Hiking and scrambling scale 

T - Turistico (Tourist): Itineraries on wide, clear and well worn paths, sometimes on mule tracks or gravel roads. The routes are never exposed, don't give any orientation problems and don't exceed 2500 meters of altitude. Suitable also for children

E - Escursionisti (Hikers): Itineraries on marked trails, even narrow and with possible steep and impervious sections. They are never exposed and don't give any orientation problems. They can tread different kinds of ground, such as forests, gravel, meadows, pastures, easy rocks, etc.). They form the majority of the trails that wind up in the mountains and require a certain habit to walk; you need equipment suitable for the altitude and resistant footwear with soles suitable for rough terrain

EE - Escursionisti Esperti (Experienced Hikers): Itineraries for hikers with experience and good knowledge of the mountain. Some of these paths may have exposed sections, however brief, which require firm foot and no dizziness. They require the ability to adapt to particular terrain, such as steep grassy slopes or stretches of rocks with difficulties that can reach the 1st degree of the UIAA scale. They can also reach high altitudes (3000 m or more). Sometimes they may include unmarked sections, requiring a good sense of orientation. Snow slopes are possible, however which can be overcome without specific mountaineering gear (rope, harness, crampons, ice-axe)

EEA - Escursionisti Esperti con Attrezzatura (Experienced Hikers with equipment - The same as EE, in addition these routes require the use of via ferrata equipment (lanyards, harness, carabiners, heat sink, helmet). This kind of itineraries range from the trails with short easy and not much exposed sections, previously equipped with fixed ropes and iron pegs, to the true and more difficult Via Ferratas climbing on rocky walls or on aerial ridges and ledges, previously equipped with long stretches of iron ropes, iron steps, ladders without which proceeding would constitute a real climbing. It is necessary to know how to use the technical equipment and have a certain habit of exposure and mountaineering terrains.

When to Climb

All year round. Winter ascents require the use of ski or snowshoes

Where to stay

Different possibilities of accomodation in Val di Fiemme or Passo Valles.

Meteo

Meteo Trentino

Dolomiti Meteo



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pale di San MartinoMountains & Rocks