Cotopaxi Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 246

laxatives - Sep 26, 2023 9:55 am Date Climbed: Apr 18, 2022

First climb above 14k  Sucess!

Incredible ice formations after the traverse. An unforgettable climb for sure.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Sep 19, 2022 3:35 pm Date Climbed: Sep 12, 2022

Normal Route  Sucess!

Climbed with Andean Summit Adventure (Jamie and Robinsson guides). Normal route from the Refugio, windy up top but most of the climb was sheltered from the winds this day until up pretty high. New personal high points for our team of myself, Jamie and Kyle.

Skyler Max - Jul 22, 2022 3:21 pm Date Climbed: Jun 25, 2022

Succsessful Day Time Assault in Tough Conditions  Sucess!

Six man team had a successful summit with the climb lasting 5 hour and 59 minutes in total with the ascent taking 3 hours and 58 minutes (To/from Refugio). No other summits occurred in the two days proceeding us and two days after. We were only team on mountain.

We waited through original start time of 1 AM due to snow/wind before starting at 6 AM and ending before noon. Wet, windy, cold and with poor visability, it was a slugfest through brutal conditions during the second half of the North Route. The summit was windy as hell, making celebrations a challenge. You couldn't see the crater let alone any views.

Had to wait on weather for days in addition to issues stemming from the political crises that paralyzed most of the country during the second half of June.

What a ride!

reedochalek

reedochalek - Jul 2, 2022 12:49 pm Date Climbed: Mar 25, 2022

North Cotopaxi Climb 2022  Sucess!

Solid trip for sure

Larry Laverty

Larry Laverty - Nov 12, 2021 6:30 pm Date Climbed: Nov 6, 2021

Northern Slopes

Standard midnight start. Member of party of 5 to the summit. Clear morning upon summit arrival but within minutes cloud cover swallowed up the beautiful view. I was happy to get a few minutes to take in the unique view of the crater but wished for more. The upper mountain made for enjoyable climbing. And all in all, a very memorable time with my enjoyable teammates.

natethor

natethor - Sep 2, 2021 9:23 am Date Climbed: Nov 11, 2014

Stunning  Sucess!

Incredible climb, great weather, felt great. And the views from the top were just stunning.

Yulia Zi

Yulia Zi - Apr 26, 2021 8:45 pm Date Climbed: Dec 26, 2020

The First Ukrainian Women Expedition / Summit Despite Whiteout

No Guides Summit by Five Ukrainian Women as the official First All Women from Ukraine team attempt. Lead two team ropes to the summit. One rope team had to turn around due to one climber feeling dizzy and not comfortable.

We were told Coto has the best weather chances out of all the volcanoes in Ecuador but nope, snow, break the trail, whiteout. The crater did open to us at the summit. Glories climb. I absolutely love climbing in Ecuador.

JWBriggs

JWBriggs - Feb 4, 2021 6:38 am Date Climbed: Jan 19, 2021

Made it through a storm  Sucess!

We climbed through a storm and didn't get to see the crater. But we summitted and it was a great time. Not a hard climb and if you want to climb in Ecuador, you will eventually climb through weather or you will sit in camp your whole trip waiting for a window that never opens up. In Ecuador, it's rarely ever clear and conditions often deteriorate every day. Good luck and stay safe.

arosusi

arosusi - Apr 2, 2020 10:25 am Date Climbed: Oct 24, 2019

Cotopaxi  Sucess!

Normal route

Posthole Pete

Posthole Pete - Oct 8, 2019 7:49 am Date Climbed: Jul 4, 2019

First 19er  Sucess!

James and I were the first to summit
The last ones to leave the refugio
We were much quicker than our guides had planned
Summited in the dark

climbvr

climbvr - Dec 16, 2018 2:59 pm Date Climbed: Dec 16, 2018

First clear day in Ecuador and got the summit!  Sucess!

First sunny day my climbing partner and I experienced in the week we had spent in Ecuador, but the timing couldn't have been better. Left the refugio at 12:40 am, but made it to the high ridge (~45 minutes from the summit) by 4 am. From there, in order not to miss the sunrise, we slowed our pace drastically and summited around 5:30 to an incredible display of the surrounding mountains. Amazing experience with Andes Climbing as our guide.

Bill562

Bill562 - Oct 2, 2018 11:12 am Date Climbed: Aug 4, 2018

Third time  Sucess!

Acclimating for Chimbo, but never got a weather window for that one. Oh well better that nothing.

Tim Edinger

Tim Edinger - Jun 24, 2018 5:49 am Date Climbed: Jun 22, 2018

Cotopaxi - North Face Route  Sucess!

I climbed Cotopaxi (19,347 ft.) on June 22, 2018. I was happy to get to the summit and back safely with my guide Jaime Vargas, from Andean Summit Adventure. We started on June 21, 2018 in the afternoon at the parking lot at 14,765 ft. We stayed at the Jose Ribas hut which was that 15,960 ft. After an 11:30 p.m. wake up, we started our climb at 12:45 a.m. It took 2 hours to get to the base of the glacier and then we did 5 hours climbing on the glacier with crampons. This was mostly at night with constant wind of about 30 to 35 miles an hour and wind chill making it about -10 C. Conditions were pretty brutal. It was quite a workout for an old-timer like me.

Anyway, we were able to get to the top at 8 a.m. using the north face route without incident. It was a real slog. We returned to the hut a little after 10 a.m. in the morning. All in all, it was about an 11-hour climb which was a real challenge. I was pleased to have accomplished this.

NatureGirl

NatureGirl - May 27, 2018 9:22 am Date Climbed: Apr 22, 2018

back on Cotopaxi after eruption  Sucess!

great feeling coming back to this wonderful mountain. ascent was straight, great climate, very cold ... only the summit window had a big fat clould for us so we did not see anything :) ... anyway, will be back some day soon.

boriskrielen

boriskrielen - Feb 6, 2018 8:19 am Date Climbed: Jan 19, 2000

Normal route solo  Sucess!

I climbed the normal route solo. Walked in all the way from the park entrance.

yadahzoemtn

yadahzoemtn - Jan 4, 2016 9:32 pm Date Climbed: Jan 17, 2015

Love this Mountain  Sucess!

Absolutely loved this climb. A must to do again some day.

teddycricket83

teddycricket83 - Aug 9, 2015 2:31 am

we made it!  Sucess!

First major climb for my amazing gf. I had food poisoning the night before and was vomiting and had the runs until a few hours before we had to start

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Feb 15, 2015 11:59 am Date Climbed: Jan 17, 2015

Wunderbares Erlebnis  Sucess!

An awe-inspiring experience, especially after having summited Cayambe three days before. Views at the top were restricted by heavy clouds but that didn't dampen the spirit of celebration enjoyed by over a dozen fellow mountaineers including three exuberant Russians.

goleary - Jan 30, 2015 9:16 pm Date Climbed: Nov 29, 2014

Decent weather until we reached the summit  Sucess!

We stayed at Tambopaxi in the park and drove up to the parking lot around 11 pm. No problems getting to the summit but as soon as we arrived it became extremely cloudy and windy. We were only able to get a brief view down into the crater before descending.

delia - Jan 22, 2015 10:53 pm Date Climbed: Dec 31, 2014

White all over  Sucess!

We started climbing around midnight. For the first few hours it was quite clear (the night sky was amazing), but it got soon windy and cloudy and very cold. We could barely see anything all the way up and all the way down. Good thing we had a guide who knew where he was going!

Viewing: 1-20 of 246
Return to 'Cotopaxi' main page