Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.37781°N / 105.9473°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12246 ft / 3733 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The well named Farview Mountain is the small, unranked mountain to the southwest of Parika Lake, and to the south of Parika Peak. The view from this peak are amazing, as you can see most of the Never Summer Range, from Mount Richtofen to Bowen Mountain. Also, there are great views of Longs Peak and Rocky Mountain National Park.

The peak is on the Continental Divide. One thing interesting about this and other nearby peaks is that the east slope of the mountain actually drains into the Pacific Ocean, while the west slope drains into the Atlantic Ocean!

The most popular side of the mountain is the east side, but it's a longer hike from there. The peak is not that well known by Rocky Mountain National Park standards, but it is scenic and a good place to leave the crowds that frequent other areas of the National Park.

Overall the mountain is not rugged, but some of the steeper faces should offer some nice early season snow routes.

Never Summer PanoramaThe view from Farview mountain, from right to left: Mount Baker, Mount Stratus, Mount Nimbus,"Paprika Peak", Mount Cirrus, Mount Cumulus.


Getting There

Baker Gulch Trailhead

Drive north out of Grand Lake on Highway 40/ Trail Ridge Road. After a couple of miles, reach the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. Pay the fee to enter the park, and drive north on Highway 40 until you reach 8 miles from Grand Lake. You will see a sign for the Bowen-Baker Trailhead, turn left into the parking lot, and enjoy the panorama of Parika Peak.

Baker Gulch PanoramaThe view from the Bowen-Baker trailhead at the start of the trail up to Parika Lake and Farview Mountain.


Routes Overview

Via Baker Gulch

The route up this peak comes from Baker Gulch, and is 13 miles roundtrip and has 3400 feet of elevation gain.

Head out on the Baker Gulch Trail, and the trail starts out mostly flat trail, but steepens the farther you get into the trail. Reach the Grand Ditch after 3.5 miles, and continue on the now steeper trail for another half mile and reach the intersection with the Baker Pass Trail. Stay left on the Baker Gulch Trail, and follow the trail for a steep mile and a half to reach Parika Lake. Follow the trail around the lake and follow the trail for another mile to the saddle between Parika Peak and Farview Mountain. Turn left at the saddle and follow the slope to the summit.

Farview MountainFarview Mountain, left of center, from just above Parika Lake.


Via Jack Park

This is perhaps the easiest route up Farview Mountain. From the trailhead, a little used trail heads south from Jack Park and curves around the south side of a mountain to a junction before heading up the ridge and to the saddle between Parika Peak and Farview Mountain. It is an easy hike up Farview Peak from there. This route is about 8 miles round trip with 1800 feet elevation gain.

Via Illinois Creek

From Illinois Creek, another seldom used trail heads up the valley and joins the route above. The round trip distance is about 8 miles with 2400 feet elevation gain.

Red Tape

This area is in a mixture of protected lands including the Bowen Gulch Protected Area, the Never Summer Wilderness and Rocky Mountain National Park. Regulations for each can be viewed by clicking the links below:

Never Summers Wilderness

Rocky Mountain National Park

Camping

No camping is allowed on the first half mile of the trail since it is in Rocky Mountain National Park. After entering the Never Summer Wilderness, you need a permit to camp anywhere, but stay at least 100 feet from any lakes, steams or creeks.

When to Climb

July through September is the normal climbing season, but the mountain can be climbed year round.

Farview Mountain has reasonable winter access from Baker Gulch. There is some avalanche terrain en-route to the peak.

Looking WestThe view looking west from Farview Mountain in late September.

Mountain Conditions

For current road and trail conditions, contact:

Sulphur Ranger District
9 Ten Mile Drive
Granby, CO 80446
970-887-4100

Rocky Mountain National Park
1000 US Hwy 36
Estes Park, CO 80517
970-586-1206

WEATHER FORECAST

Below is the climate summary for nearby Berthoud Pass at 11,315 feet elevation which is several miles to the south and about 1000 feet lower than Farview Mountain. These are all averages, so expect more variation, but this will give you a good idea about the climate at higher elevations around Cascade Mountain. *National Weather Service Data 1950-1985.


MONTHHIGH LOWSNOW DEPTHDAYS W/PRECIP
JAN21142"19
FEB24252"16
MAR29663"20
APR361467"17
MAY452353"16
JUN543217"11
JUL6239014
AUG6038014
SEP5331011
OCT42213"10
NOV301014"15
DEC23329"18


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Never Summer RangeMountains & Rocks