Garadh Gully/No.2 Gully

Garadh Gully/No.2 Gully

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 56.79712°N / 5.00552°W
Additional Information Route Type: Easy snow/ice climbs
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Scottish 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Get to the CIC hut (choice of approaches, check the map, OS sheet 41 or the laminated Nevis and Glencoe map). Head up into the left side of coire na ciste as seen from the hut. Garadh Gully is the obvious snow/ice couloir which seperates Tower ridge on the L from the smaller Garadh na Ciste on the right.

Access to coire na ciste is guarded by a slabby rock barrier with a gorge at the LH end. Either skirt the gorge above on its left or scramble through the rocky barrier on the right, don't go up the gorge.

Once over the barrier head up to the base of the couloir.

Route Description


Climb the gully, over 1 or 2 short ice pitches (can be longer and harder in early season)

From the platform at the top No.2 gully is the obvious gully splitting the cliff headwall to the L of Comb gully buttress. It's not the one tucked against the big cliff on the right (the comb) that's Comb Gully.

No.2 is mostly 50-55 degree snow. Pass the cornice out left

Essential Gear


1 or 2 tools, crampons, a few slings and nuts, maybe a couple of pegs and a couple of ice screws. No need for any more

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Dan Bailey

Dan Bailey - Jan 18, 2005 9:53 am - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

Due to its position on the mountain the gully can collect lots of spindrift from higher areas. In this case it can be arduous and scary.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ben NevisRoutes