Hiking Mt. Rogers in January

Hiking Mt. Rogers in January

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 36.65970°N / 81.5447°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 21, 2002
Mount Rogers  photo_id=63592
Looking down Grayson Highlands


On January 21st, 2002, I hiked Mt. Rogers via the Appalachian Trail, which was still packed with snow, despite the weather slowly rising near 50 degrees in Southwest Virginia. In about an hour and 20 minutes I made it up to the top, where there is no view. However, before you get to the top, there is beautiful scenery all around. This is once you get past Wilburn Ridge and the trees clear out on the trail, about half a mile from the summit. You can also find some nice views on Wilburn Ridge, which is about a mile and a half from the summit.

To get to Mt. Rogers, I took I-81 all the way down to Exit 35. There I went South until I reached rt. 600. Once I got on 600 and traveled a few miles, there was a left turn to go to rt. 603. I drove past that left, and made the next left, 50 yards down the road. On that road, I drove about 5 miles until I got to a small parking lot which indicated the Appalachian Trail. Across the road from the rustic parking lot, was a gate. I opened the gate and walked towards a sign which said, 4.5 miles to Mt. Rogers.

I know this is only one way to reach Mt. Rogers, but it is a very enjoyable way. The trail up goes over one mountain trail until you see Mount Rogers through the trees. After a 2 or 3 miles you reach Wilburn Ridge and the treeless part of the Grayson Highlands area. You do not get on the treeless area, rather you follow the trail up to the summit. You can go off trail and walk around the ridge a little bit. It is very pretty.

As you continue on the trail, you start another major ascent uphill. It is almost 4 miles from the trailhead when you get to a clearing above the meadows. This is a very pretty spot to sit and relax, and enjoy a splendid view. When I got there, I saw a sign that said, "Mt. Rogers summit, 1/2 mile." There were 3 or 4 whitetail deer just standing there looking at me, so I shot them. Just kidding, I didn't have a gun. I continued up the trail to the top until I got to a big rock, covered in snow. This was the summit. The trail to the top is in the middle of dense woods, without any view. Mt. Rogers is a nice hiking experience. In early January, my friend and I camped out about 1/2 mile in the trail. It was quite cold and frosty. Conclusion, camping out in the Virginia high Appalachians in the dead of winter, not the best idea. However, I enjoy the southern Appalachians far more in winter than the summer. It is not crowded in the winter. Enjoy the climb.




Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Theonestar

Theonestar - Sep 29, 2007 12:14 am - Hasn't voted

summit camping

can you camp at the top?

hgrapid

hgrapid - Sep 29, 2007 9:58 am - Hasn't voted

Probably

I would assume so. I am not sure about campfires. He tried to set a campfire when we hiked Rogers in January of 2002, but we didn't have lighter fluid and there was too much frost on the ground for a match to get us going.

maddie77777

maddie77777 - Nov 12, 2009 12:20 pm - Voted 10/10

I shot the deer

Honest LOL, there. Very funny.

Adam Doc Fox

Adam Doc Fox - Dec 19, 2014 3:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I shot the deer

Haha, agreed.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4