Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.43937°N / 111.44864°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5024 ft / 1531 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The mountain some people refer to as Ironview Peak is the high point of the North/West end of the Superstition Mountains that sits above and 500 meters Northeast of the popular Flatiron. This mountain offers the best view of the Flatiron and is an easy quarter mile scramble off the Siphon Draw/Flatiron trail. It is sometimes mistakenly referred to as Superstition Peak, although the true Superstition Peak lies a few miles to the West-Southwest. 

Getting There

Start from Lost Dutchman State Park NE of Apache Junction and Mesa, AZ. Take the Siphon Draw Trail which is very well marked all through the park. The trail is double track wide and climbs moderately the first mile and a half. After this, the trail narrows and steepens as it goes up the draw on rock and occasional singletrack. The important thing to know is to stay LEFT of the Flatiron and avoid the trail splits that go right. Stay in the gully and to the right whenever possible. Eventually you will come to the steepest section where you will have to use both hands and climb. You will then pop out on top of the the draw and you can go right to the Flatiron, or LEFT up to the summit of Iron View Peak. 

There is a somewhat worn singletrack trail that leads up to the summit. There is occasional slight bushwacking, several tunnels through the rocks, and some fun scrambling along the way. There are occasional spray painted dots, as well as rock cairns for some of the harder to follow sections of trail. 3/4 of the way to the top, the trail takes a right up through very large rocks for about 100 yards (follow the cairns), and then cuts left again following cairns towards the summit. On top is the best view of the Flatiron you can get!

Route

Take the Siphon Draw Trail all the way up from Lost Dutchman State Park. 

Red Tape

$7 Park Entrance Fee to Lost Dutchman State Park. 

When to Climb

Anytime, but it's HOT in the summer. 

Camping

Camping is avaialbe at the trailhead. 

External Links

Lost Dutchman State Park: Lost Dutchman State Park Website

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
surgent

surgent - Apr 21, 2017 10:21 pm - Voted 3/10

Not sure what peak this is

There are two peaks above the Flatiron: No Name Peak at 5024 feet to the northeast, and an unnamed peak at 4861 feet to the east of the Flatiron and south of No Name. The highpoint of the immediate range is to the east-southeast, called Superstition Benchmark. I assume this page refers to the peak immediately east of the Flatiron?

runbyu1

runbyu1 - Apr 23, 2017 12:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Not sure what peak this is

Sorry, I made some clarifications in the description after finally getting a hold of a better Topo to get exact elevation.

surgent

surgent - Apr 23, 2017 5:11 pm - Voted 3/10

Re: Not sure what peak this is

You should also fix the location of Superstition Benchmark, the range highpoint. It's to the east-southeast. Embed some images in with the narrative since the area is so pretty, it will really stand out.

Humphrey

Humphrey - Dec 14, 2023 8:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Not sure what peak this is

You mean the high point for the superstition ridgeline? The high point for the range is far higher than 5057.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Superstition MountainsMountains & Rocks