Karlhochkogel

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.60722°N / 15.15833°E
Additional Information Route Type: ski ascent
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 35-40°
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Kapfenberg - Thoerl - St. Ilgen. After Innerzwain the road comes to the Karlschütt, a broad brook bed. Some 600m later you get to a parking place.

Route Description

A nice, constantly changing ascent in a wild landscape. From the parking place a marked trail in the north direction leads to a strange broad brook bed. Stay on its left side.

The snow in Karlgraben is reached at approx. 1100m, until then you follow the summer trail. It joins the snow again at 1300m and it may be better to go this high later in the spring. At 1670m the Karlhochkogel summit and the downhill can be seen in the north. The ascend turns sharp to the left (west) here, as it is no as steep. Later from the plateau, the summit can be reached flat in an arc from SE, or directly through a steep snow gutter.

Essential Gear

Ski, ski crampons, avalanche gear.

Downhill

The downhill starts some 20m east from the summit. After the steep first slope, it traverses 50m to the right and another steep slope leads to the flat plateau at 1670m. From now on the downhill follows the ascend.

Best time

March, April. When there is still snow on the Karlgraben slopes, very stable snow conditions needed. The wet avalanches are coming down from all sides.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.