Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 36.35060°N / 115.6972°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 19, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer

Macks Peak Hike

This peak is much tougher than Books talk about. Branch Whitney's book said it was only 1177 feet elevation gain and about 6 miles round trip. THAT IS WRONG!!!! It is about 1815 feet elevation gain (Trailhead is 8,216, Peak is 10,033, and it was 3.5 miles round trip, about 1.8 miles to the peak. As you go about .4 miles and turn right to see a tree stump about 75 yards off the trail, keep going, then when you come to a fork take the left fork. Hike up to the ridge around 9200 feet. It is a good 800 feet elevation gain to the ridge. Once you reach the base of the peak, you'll see a burnt Bristlecomb Pine Tree. Keep going 180 degrees past it about 75 yards then you will see the chute up to the peak. DO NOT try and scramble up the peak right at the burnt tree, my friend and I did that and got lost/stuck for 2 hours. We also got stuck on ledges. Take your time, explore and think before you do anything you might not be able to recover from. Once at the peak, the views were very rewarding. My friend and I were the only humans the whole way to and from the peak. When we got back to the trailhead, lots of families were camping, none were there though when we left. Round trip was about 7 hours, though we got lost for 2 hours scrambling. Great Hike to try once in a lifetime.

Macks Peak from the Ridge leading up


Comments

No comments posted yet.