Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.56390°N / 115.3931°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10922 ft / 3329 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lake Peak is in the Ruby Mountain Wilderness in northeastern Nevada toward the northern end of the range.

Lake Peak has tremendous views in all directions. To the east is a wide, flat valley and the Pequop Mountains. To the north are Favre and Liberty lakes, Liberty Pass and Liberty Peak. To the south are North Furlong Lake and Wines Peak and to the west are views down North Furlong Creek Canyon and Kleckner Canyon. The peak is situated above Castle Lake at the junction of two jagged ridges.

Getting There

From Elko, NV take SR 227 going southeast through Spring Creek and towards Lamoille. Before you get to Lamoille turn right at the sign (standard brown road sign) for Lamoille Canyon and the Ruby Crest Trail. The road follows Lamoille Canyon past a few forest service picnic areas and dead ends at the trailhead at 8800'. From Elko to the trailhead is approximately a 45 minute drive. Elko is about 230 miles west of Salt Lake City on I-80.

I estimate 6 miles to Castle Lake from the trailhead.

Red Tape

None. Just drive up to the trailhead, park your car and start hiking.

When To Climb

Late summer should provide snow free climbing.

Camping

There are many excellent campsites near Liberty Lake and along the creek which joins it to Favre Lake. Favre Lake also has several established campsites. It has been reported that Castle Lake has good campsites, but I did not see them. Water will certainly be available at the lakes and depending on snow melt and time of year, from the streams flowing into and out of the lakes as well.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the Humboldt National Forest, Wells Ranger District at (775) 752-3357 for current weather and mountain information.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ruby MountainsMountains & Rocks