Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.25861°N / 115.34403°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 3704 ft / 1129 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Golden Eagle is the prominent peak at the end of Ann Road on the west side of I-215 in North Las Vegas. This is no major peak by any means, but there are good views of the Las Vegas Valley. It is a good rock scramble and short workout. With it's low elevation it can be climbed year round. It makes for a great short hike in the winter months.

Unlike it's near neighbor, Lone Mountain, which is a ridge walk up on it's easiest path, Golden Eagle provides a lot of great 3rd class and possible 4th class routes especially when climbed from the North side. This makes it a nice conditioner to keep one's scrambling skills in check. With it's low elevation it can be climbed year round, though the summer would be very hot.

The views of the Las Vegas area from the summit are superb, especially at sunset. Gass Peak and the Sheep Range are seen to the North, Frenchman Mountain to the East, and the strip to the southeast.

Plant encountered on the way to the summitA Yucca Plant on Golden Eagle's Ridge

Golden EagleGolden Eagle from Lone Mountain

Getting There

Depending on where you live in the Las Vegas valley -- access is fairly easy. It is right off the intersection of Ann Road and I-215 in the NW part of Las Vegas. If you live in North Las Vegas take Ann Road straight west across I-215. If you live in Las Vegas take a major east/west street (Cheyenne, Charleston, Sahara, etc) west to I-215 and go North to the Ann Road stop light and turn left.


Once you go across 215 turn right at the T intersection and then turn left again on the first dirt road. Drive up until you see a pull off (about 1/2 a mile or so) on the left. Park here.

Red Tape

No permits are needed to climb Golden Eagle.

Camping

I don't think anyone would have a problem with someone camping on the summit or near the mountain. Why would you want to do this though. Mt. Charleston is not to far away and has campgrounds. Las Vegas has numerous casinos to be enjoyed.

Route

From the parking area hike up to the end of the road and then it's a scramble to the summit. There are many different ways. There are many class 3 sections that can be enjoyed. Let your imagination and route finding go to work and have a blast!

Golden EagleGolden Eagle from the North.
Lone Mountain and Las VegasLone Mountain and Las Vegas from Golden Eagle's Summit.

Equipment

A good pair of hiking boots should be sufficient. Gloves might also be a great idea as well as the limestone on this peak can be sharp. There are many great holds on the 3rd and 4th class sections and so many routes that ropes probably aren't needed, though could come in handy depending how tough you want to make your route.

Weather




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.