Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.79427°N / 121.91428°W
Additional Information County: Pierce
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 5485 ft / 1672 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rainier from the summit of Gobblers Knob
Rainier from the summit of Gobblers Knob

Gobblers Knob, located in the western part of Mount Rainier National Park is a moderately popular hike in the park. The peak itself is 5485 feet and is a northern extension of the ridge of Mount Wow. Gobblers Knob itself has 485 feet of prominence and also contains a lookout tower on the summit. The views from the summit are breathtaking! The summit contains stunning panoramic views of Mount Rainier as well as distant views of Mount Saint Helens and closeby Mount Wow and Mount Beljica. Please save this summit for a sunny day because the unique shot of Rainier is very special. 
Saint Helens from Gobblers Knob
Saint Helens from Gobblers Knob

Route

Gobblers Knob Route Map
Gobblers Knob Route Map

As of October 2016 to get to this summit requires a 11.6 mile hike with 2600 feet of elevation gain. 5.8 miles of the roundtrip hike is the now closed due to washout Westside Road. As of October 2016 this road seemed to be under construction which means this road may be open all the way to the trailhead by 2017. The trail version of the hike from Round Pass is 4.8 miles and 1600 feet of elevation gain. It should be noted that the hike is all completely Class 1 and if the Westside Road up to Round Pass does open then this would be a good family hike.

Rainier from the cliffs on Gobblers Knob
Rainier from the cliffs on Gobblers Knob


Fall Colors on Gobblers Knob
Fall Colors on Gobblers Knob

Getting There

Rainier from Westside Road
Rainier from Westside Road

FROM THE SEATTLE METRO AREA: Take Route 7 from Tacoma. in the town of Elbe, merge onto Route 706 about 14 miles to the Nisqually MRNP entrance. One mile from the entrance, make a left onto Westside Road. Take it either all the way to its closure as of 2016 or if the road opens all the way to Round Pass take it all the way to the trailhead parking by Round Pass.

Red Tape

Mount Rainier National Park has dramatically raise admission to the park from $15 to $25 for a day pass or $50 for an annual pass as of 2016. 

When to Climb

Mount Wow from Gobblers Knob
Mount Wow from Gobblers Knob

This can be hiked up to between the summer and early fall months without anything but basic hiking gear. As the snow though comes in during October and November the difficulty changes. If you do try this mountain during these months be prepared for difficult conditions near the summit. 

Camping

Gobblers Knob from Lake George
Gobblers Knob from Lake George

Lake George on the way up looks to have a number of camping areas near the lake. You must though have registered for a permit before camping there though. They have a patrol station there as well. 

External Links