A-Frame Fire Iridium

 

A-Frame Fire Iridium
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title A-Frame Fire Iridium
Manufacturer Oakley
Page By JanVanGenk
Page Type Dec 27, 2004 / Jan 15, 2012
Object ID 1209
Hits 10115
Vote
These are goggles for medium to bright light by Oakley.

  • Light transmission: 14
  • Protection index: 3
  • Superior clarity and impact resistance of optically precise dual lens architecture
  • Comfort of triple-layer polar fleece face foam with moisture wicking
  • Fog reduction of surge port venting, dual lens design, and F-3 Series anti-fog treatment
  • Wide field of downward and side vision plus clarity at all angles of view via patented XYZ OpticsĀ®
  • Performance and protection that exceeds ANSI Z87.1 / ASTM F659 standards
  • Flexibility of urethane frame construction, even in extreme cold
  • Reduced glare via textured interior surface
  • Contrast enhancement and glare reduction of IridiumĀ® lens coating
  • Impact resistance of durable PlutoniteĀ® lens material
  • 100% eye protection against UVA, UVB, UVC and harmful blue light
  • Comfortable and secure fit of wide, adjustable elastic strap
  • Convenience of optional adaptation kit for using strap with helmet

Maintenance tips

Here are some tips concerning the proper maintenance of the goggles (based on the conversation with an Oakly's dealer).

  • Clean the lenses only with a special goggle bag (comes with the goggles). Wash the bag regularly.
  • If the lens area becomes wet (especially inside), never dry/rub it mechanically, even with the lens bag! Let the lens air dry first!
  • You can wash the goggles (no need to remove the lens) with only mild soap and (lukewarm) water; never use cleaning solutions. Be careful not to rub the lens excessively with your fingertips (no cloth rubbing!). Rinse, let the goggles air dry and then wipe the lens clean with the goggle bag. I've washed mine in this manner a couple of times with no damage to the lens.
  • When not in use, always store the goggles in the goggle bag. Oakley sells also a special goggle case.

Links

Oakley's website

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-7 of 7

JanVanGenk - Dec 27, 2004 7:18 am - Voted 5/5

Very satisfied
These goggles are definitely worth the money. They feel good and perform good. Defogging system really seems to work. The Fire Iridium lens means maximum sun protection, but I've used them also all day long in a snowstorm, and still had almost no visibility problems. The contrast as well as peripheral vision is excellent and the dual lenses are really optically correct. They come with a special bag which at the same time serves as a cleaning rag for the lenses.

Alpinist - Mar 28, 2005 6:00 pm - Voted 5/5

A Frame Blue Iridiums
I picked up a pair of the A-Frame Goggles with the Blue Iridium Lens. These are truly awesome goggles! They look great. They feel great. And they work perfectly. The clarity is excellent and the field of view is very good. I've had no problems with fogging, even wearing a balaclava. (Note that you can not wear glasses under them.)

I was concerned that the blue iridium lens would block too much light and would not be adequate for low light conditions (before/after sunrise/sunset). Not so. While they do provide excellent sunlight filtering, you can still see adequately in low light conditions.

RModelli - Oct 2, 2005 12:52 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Flawless is what I have to say about these goggles. The lenses seem to be on the lighter side at first but tey do perform really well on the snow, great protection and no fogging.

Nikman - May 10, 2007 12:50 pm - Voted 5/5

Satisfied ...
... I am. I use the easy to change system for the lenses and have a red lense for foggy days and an Iridium lens for days when the sun is shining.
Good ventilation system and wearing comfort rounds up that product and the weight is also no point for bad critics.

sottenad - Jun 25, 2007 9:20 am - Hasn't voted

Lens Cover
Hey, I own a pair of oakley crowbars, very similar to these in function and price point. One thing to be careful of: do not rub the inside of the lens with anything but the bag, and even then be careful. I rubbed it with the soft patch on my gloves thumb, and completely ruined the anti-fog coating. This also left a permanent streak across the inside. I tried to wash it off, by removing the lens and using soap and water, and it ruined the coating over the entire thing. So just let it air dry or dab it with paper towels. Other than that though, the outside of the lenses are completely bombproof.

live2climb90 - Aug 13, 2008 3:27 am - Voted 5/5

The only way to go
These goggles are awesome! They are great for all winter sports, or anything else you would need goggles for. They are so comfortable, you will never want a different pair. Also, the vents keep them from fogging very effectively so you dont need to worry about that at all. They are very durrable too, ive taken a few hard crashes on the snowboard and they have help up great.

orienteraren - May 25, 2011 8:06 am - Voted 4/5

A-frame Gold Iridium
For use in the European alps they work pretty good, reasonable quick ant fogging when it appears. The style of the googles forces you to an "aggressive" position while skiing since the vision downwards is somewhat limited. The buckle is easy to adjust and they have a snug fit. I brought them as spares to Antarctica (South pole) but they were far from sufficient there, not dark enough. Working in the shadow was ok but in the sunlight the lens was to light, and looking direktly towards the sun was very inconvenient.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7