Dyneema Carbon Helmet

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Dyneema Carbon Helmet
Manufacturer HB
Page By Glencoe
Page Type Dec 17, 2002 / Dec 17, 2002
Object ID 600
Hits 12286
Vote
Ultra-light climbing helmet combing the remarkable penetration resistance of Dyneema with the stiffness of carbon fiber. Hugh Banner claim this helmet withstands 10 repetitions of the CE penetration test (the standard is only one repetition). Headlamp straps.



Medium fits head circumference 57-59cm.

Large fits head circumference 59-61cm.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-5 of 5

Glencoe - Dec 17, 2002 5:15 pm - Voted 2/5

Untitled Review
Disappointing. This helmet is extremely light and highly penetration resistant, but feels very flimsy. I am not at all confident that this would protect from the force of an impact being transfered into my skull. It feels like it is cut from an old gallon milk jug. There is little or no internal structure to keep the helmet from making contact with the skull.

bbense - Jun 8, 2003 1:27 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
The previous reviewer does not understand how this helmet is supposed to work. It is not a bike helmet. It's meant to protect you from things falling from above, not to provide impact protection from a side blow. Much of this protection is provided by the straps inside the helmet. They stretch to absorb impact. It works quite well for objects from above. If you want side impact protection, you need to get a more "bicycle-like" helmet such as the Peztel Meteor or BD Hemisphere. The problem with these foam helmets is that they are pretty much "one-use" items like a bike helmet. One hard impact and they are severely compromised.

For a traditional climbing helmet, this works pretty well, the only draw back is that the interior harness has one "hard spot" that can be irritating if you aren't wearing a hat. In the winter it's perfect, in the summer I generally wear my Petzl meteor. For summer use, retro-fitting some kind of sweat band would make the helmet much more comfortable.

IceMonkey - Jul 29, 2005 9:17 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I love this helmet. Its comfortable, light and looks great. I wouldn't wear anything else.

fossana - Feb 13, 2008 6:27 pm - Hasn't voted

nice light option
I admit that I hate wearing climbing helmets, but the Dyneema's lightness helps. I originally purchased one for my mom and ended up buying one for myself after experiencing helmet envy. I've had this helmet for at least 5 years both with and without a fleece hat underneath and haven't experienced any comfort-related issues.

Kai - May 14, 2010 11:14 pm - Voted 5/5

Terrific Helmet
This helmet passed 10 repetitions of the UIAA impact/penetration test. It's strong and light. It's only drawback is that it is no longer sold, as HB went under.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5