EL -25

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title EL -25
Manufacturer REI
Page By Erik Beeler
Page Type Nov 21, 2003 / Nov 21, 2003
Object ID 864
Hits 4214
Vote
Our most technical down bags feature prime 700 fill-power goose down and an REI Elements® shell that sheds water, yet lets moisture vapor escape.



Stretch box baffle construction allows the goose down to remain fully lofted and keeps it from shifting, preventing cold spots



Vertical baffling prevents down from shifting to the sides and keeps more down on top of the bag where it keeps you warmer



Differentiated (one round, one flat) hood drawcords let you adjust easily in the dark and are buried so they don't cinch against your face or head



Expedition-quality insulated draft collar keeps the cold from penetrating through the top of the sleeping bag; cords are buried for comfort



Ground-level side seams and full-length insulated draft tube prevent heat loss through seams and the anti-snag zipper



Contoured hood and roomy foot section provide a comfortable, non-restrictive fit, so you stay warmer



Includes nylon stuff sack and cotton storage sack



Comes in regular and long lengths. Fits up to 6 feet

Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

Erik Beeler - Dec 7, 2003 12:46 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
So far so good. I have used this bag down to -15F. The wind was so strong (60 mph) that the wind chill was -55. When the wind gusts would hit the tent I could feel the heat leave the sleeping bag on that side but it would warm right back up. Very comfortable with a nice hood that is easy to adjust in the dark because the drawcords are different one round and one flat. The bag does lose heat out the bottom when you move around but this seems to be a feature of all down bags. So far almost two years old and it is still retaining its loft. I am fairly confident on its temperature rating because during the -15F night I started the night off by coming in with a mild hypothermia (diet and water mistakes coupled with lots of work...). Well anyway it pulled me out of my shivers after a while and allowed me to warm up enough to head back out and make some hot soup. :)

The zipper does catch the fabric from time to time but seems to run clean once you get it started and keep your hand ahead of it.

The REI Elements has worked so far, keeping the moisture on the outside and not letting the down get damp.


UPDATE: Used this bag on the Grand Teton during a winter attempt. Temps were near -20 and I never did really close this bag up all the way around my face and only had some chilly feet which I fixed by putting a fleece down under my feet. Would still buy this bag again.

kovarpa - Jun 4, 2004 2:02 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I bought this bag for my Denali trip and was entirely happy. The bag is large just about right (I am 5'9, 150lbs) so that I could have two water bottles inside and couple pairs of socks to dry. The REI Elements material did a good job keeping moisture out. The moisture from my breath concentrated on the surface and froze. I could easily wipe it in the morning. The down packed minimaly at the very beginning of the trip and then the loft stayed the same (still plentiful) over the course of 2 weeks.

With a closed cell pad and a Thermarest, at 14,200 ft I slept only in my underwear, the nightime temperature could have been around 0F. At 17,200 it was around -10 or -20F, I sleft in long underware and a light fleece jacket and was plenty comfortable.



Packs pretty small, slightly smaller than my REI +30 synthetic bag.



The only two small issues: the bag does not come with a compression bag, but I was able to use one from another REI bag I have. It would also be nice if the bag had a small chest pocket.

The Defiant One - Apr 1, 2005 4:17 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Got a ProDeal on this bag, half price, but even at full price it's competition for Marmot's Col. I've used both in sub-zero (-20)conditions with fairly new bags and stayed plenty warm in each. This bag compresses soooo small, i love it for winter trips or high altitudes. No cold spots and the elements(r) shell nicely keeps the down dry from condensation and "interior tent snow storms". you know what i mean.

This bag is well made, and a real bargain!!

Going high and cold? Thinking of replacing your Col? Buy this bag, you can always return it.one of the best purchases i've made

Viewing: 1-3 of 3