Careers

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
jwolf

by jwolf » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:34 am

Fire/Rescue/EMS 24 hr shifts

LithiumMetalman

hmmm

by LithiumMetalman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:57 am

Animal testing...I'm dead serious...

jibmaster

by jibmaster » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:48 am

I'm a waiter here in the Napa Valley.
Work every weekend and every holiday. Have midweek off.
That means on my weekends(Tue/Wed), anywhere I go there is nobody around.
:lol:
Sucks for getting partners though.
:roll:

I'm used to it. Skiing and biking don't require partners.
Don't whitewater kayak or climb enough though...

bird

by bird » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:26 pm

bird wrote:Entrepreneur - (www.macaronikid.com) Could take off all the time I want, but then my business would tank. Tough to find a balance. Climbing in Ouray with my blackberry buzzing can be annoying, but at the same time, if I can bring in more business, then I figure my whole trip was just paid for.

Volunteer firefighter too.

Adayak

by Adayak » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:34 pm

I work in social media marketing for an online retailer. I do company blogging, facebook, Twitter, etc. It's pretty fun but the pay isn't that good and I don't get a lot of time off. But it's a low stress job.

I don't live near the mountains so I can only get a few mini trips in a years time.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:18 pm

kovarpa wrote:professional a**hole

Now, that would be a resume worth posting :lol:

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:15 am

Don wouterB what's the plan I need money and a new car

no avatar
RdC

by RdC » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:36 am

Strategic Marketing for a medical diagnostics company. Not as much time off as I used to get. I mean on my pay check I see the hours climb and climb, but the more I make the less I get to enjoy it. Makes you think real hard about the purpose of it all - by "all" I do mean all.

Strangely enough this reflection has driven me towards mountains to find balance. I think Muir said something about time in the mountains can heal anything/anyone.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:53 am

Financial advisor, ridiculous income but tough to be gone...

drpw

by drpw » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Over the summer I lifeguard at the local beach and also do web development for my own business. I usually get three day weekends during the middle of the week during summer which are occupied by entreprenuership. All summer long I work without weekends pretty much except for one week a month where I go for a five day trip. Come fall it's time to head to the hills.

It sure is nice to just change the voicemail message to "Gone to the mountains, leave your name and message and I'll call if I come back." and leave town for a week or two.

rpc

by rpc » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:54 pm

kovarpa wrote:professional a**hole

UPPER MANAGEMENT MATERIAL!!

RayMondo

by RayMondo » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:26 pm

Commissioning and Field Service Engineer - install and maintain machine systems for producing microprocessors at Intel, Hitachi, Micron Technology.

Mr. Anderson

by Mr. Anderson » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:26 pm

I'm a photographer and a teacher. Summers are great. I keep getting paychecks from the school, and between wedding photography gigs (almost always on Saturdays) I can get out quite a bit.

Hoping that this year proves productive in the mountains and with my business. At the moment I have two broken feet (dropped by belayer in the gym) and have some recovery ahead of me.

I think one key thing is picking a location to live where you have access to both your career and your lifestyle. Don't be afraid to change zip codes or even countries. The climbing community is spread far and wide. Wherever you've got hills you'll find cool folks to climb with.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:26 pm

AHAHAHAHAHAHA! I have you all beat.

I manage the Base Camp Adventure Store at the American Mountaineering Museum in Golden. Sometimes give tours, may be helping with exhibits, preparing presentations, promoting conservation, preservation and education.

I get to hang out with Jim Whitaker, Tom Hornbein, Gerry Roach, Jake Norton, Phil Powers, Steve House, oh, just to name a few. :wink: I sent my boss an email the other day with a question and you know what his Out-of-Office Assistant replied with? "I'm currently on an Everest expedition and won't be back until June." :shock:

I'm 45 minutes away from just about the most incredible hiking/skiing/mountaineering/climbing in Colorado. Have some new awesome partners to get into trouble with.

And I am DELIRIOUSLY happy!
Last edited by MarthaP on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to General