Careers

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Big Benn

by Big Benn » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:05 pm

Bit embassed posting here after Martha's amazing revelations!

I'm retired. I was an accountant.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:06 pm

Aw, Bryan, you have all day free now! You can hang out with anyone you want! And you're not THAT far away from the Tyrol. I'm sure Messner would raise a glass of glog with you, especially if there were some Bavarian wenches present. :wink:

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:51 pm

MarthaP you guys hiring? *be's jealous*

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:45 pm

Im a highschool student(sophmore)....

I want to be a doctor

looking at at least 10 more years of school... But ive heard ER docs are a good job for climbers...
or maybe I should just be a paramedic!

-CS

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:01 am

xDoogiex wrote:MarthaP you guys hiring? *be's jealous*

We can always use museum docents to help out with tours...

If you knew how many years of crap I went through to arrive at this point - but it was a helluva ride!

climber555

job

by climber555 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:23 am

Just finished erecting a 12 story steel building.....in the process of changing jobs to climb and build communications towers next........fun

stormflap

by stormflap » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:44 am

MarthaP wrote:AHAHAHAHAHAHA! I have you all beat.

I manage the Base Camp Adventure Store at the American Mountaineering Museum in Golden. Sometimes give tours, may be helping with exhibits, preparing presentations, promoting conservation, preservation and education.

I get to hang out with Jim Whitaker, Tom Hornbein, Gerry Roach, Jake Norton, Phil Powers, Steve House, oh, just to name a few. :wink: I sent my boss an email the other day with a question and you know what his Out-of-Office Assistant replied with? "I'm currently on an Everest expedition and won't be back until June." :shock:

I'm 45 minutes away from just about the most incredible hiking/skiing/mountaineering/climbing in Colorado. Have some new awesome partners to get into trouble with.

And I am DELIRIOUSLY happy!

JEALOUS.

i owned a furniture store for over a year. now the recession owns it...i took six months off before i went to work selling life insurance for woodmen. id say insurance or real estate sales is a good area to be in. you can make alot of money selling insurance and work whenever you want (and make little less). real estate agents arent as flexible but still get to take more time away than typical 9-5. you mite make more money with insurance than real estate.. but its not for everyone. you are in peoples houses talking to them about death benifits and annuities.(boring) but diligent first year agents can make 50-60k their first year if they work hard. most of the rele good new agents were making that in the middle of the "recession"

if you are a gear head and love helping customers.. work for your local outfitter. i bet they atlease give you a week or two off even if its your first year.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:19 am

I'm retired. Near me is a collection of snow climbs(45 minutes), intense scrambles over beautiful rock formations (15 minutes), warm fantastic scenery by Lake Mead (60 minutes), Zion (165 miles), Death Valley (100 miles), Mojave (50 miles), Sierra (240 miles). Life's a bitch.

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:09 pm

MarthaP wrote:Aw, Bryan, you have all day free now! You can hang out with anyone you want! And you're not THAT far away from the Tyrol. I'm sure Messner would raise a glass of glog with you, especially if there were some Bavarian wenches present. :wink:

Too kind Martha. :D

Dragger

by Dragger » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:24 am

rpc wrote:
kovarpa wrote:professional a**hole

UPPER MANAGEMENT MATERIAL!!

Did this just conjure up mental images of "Office Space" or what?!?!?! :lol:

OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:59 am

I currently own several meth labs. It's fun and exciting work, and you kind of almost have to be a chemist. Plus, I have to hike in a couple of miles to the shack I cook in, so you get a little workout before your work day. It's pretty cool because once I have made my product, and send it to market I am usually free for a few weeks, so that's when I like to go climbing.

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:26 am

I make bulk deliveries of fertilizer and Sudafed. Lately I've been making a lot of deliveries to some guy in Portland, which is great because I can get in some climbing while I'm out west.

John Climber

Sure you bet me?

by John Climber » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:18 pm

MarthaP wrote:AHAHAHAHAHAHA! I have you all beat.

I manage the Base Camp Adventure Store at the American Mountaineering Museum in Golden. Sometimes give tours, may be helping with exhibits, preparing presentations, promoting conservation, preservation and education.

I get to hang out with Jim Whitaker, Tom Hornbein, Gerry Roach, Jake Norton, Phil Powers, Steve House, oh, just to name a few. :wink: I sent my boss an email the other day with a question and you know what his Out-of-Office Assistant replied with? "I'm currently on an Everest expedition and won't be back until June." :shock:

I'm 45 minutes away from just about the most incredible hiking/skiing/mountaineering/climbing in Colorado. Have some new awesome partners to get into trouble with.

And I am DELIRIOUSLY happy!

Well, I am mountain guide! Yes, I did it! ....after much hesitating I decided to go for it, and now I am living of this. I am continuously doing all short of things regarding the mountains and the outdoor...

So I combine my job perfectly with my hobby! ,....martha, what do you have to tell about this? (but so far I have not been going to Everest or far away expeditions...this job does not make you rich so I have to enjoy what 'cheaper' targets)

Greetings to all you,
:D

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Where can I get one of these cool jobs?

Apex

by Apex » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:07 pm

Student.

The pay sucks, I have no time off, And I am still looking at another 8+ years of school.

PreviousNext

Return to General