Dolomites in mid-June

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
chugach mtn boy

Dolomites in mid-June

by chugach mtn boy » Wed May 04, 2011 10:59 pm

I have an unexpected opportunity to meet a daughter in the Dolomites or nearby from 10-17 June. Her idea of the perfect trip is to wander along some beautiful range for 4 or 5 days from hut to hut (she really enjoyed a circuit of the Tre Cime from Sesto in 2009; this time, a little bit longer trip would be good).

Hiking, ferratas, scrambling, and gentle snow are possible. And this girl really, really loves meadows and cows :? . Huge daily ups and downs are disfavored. Also, since I am recovering from a knee injury, carrying the weight of a tent, etc is out of the question.

I was thinking the Brenta Group might be ideal, but it looks as though the official opening date of nearly all the huts there is a week too late for us. Is there any chance the huts will open earlier this year because of the lack of snow last winter? And do any of my European friends have other suggestions for the perfect place for a hut-to-hut in mid-June?

Cheers
Chris

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: Dolomites in mid-June

by Gangolf Haub » Thu May 05, 2011 1:44 pm

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Thu May 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Gangolf Haub wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/dolomites/150874#chapter_6

Yes, thanks, Gangolf, of course I'm very familiar with the SP Dolomites page (and,as you know, have very gratefully used your pages on Corsican and Appenine peaks in the past). And I even maintain an SP mountain page myself in one of the ranges near the Dolomites.

I guess my question goes more to what would work well in mid-June in the conditions that are developing this year.

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu May 05, 2011 7:12 pm

I spent several days in Corvara in late June some ten years ago on my honeymoon. I had a great time though to be honest, it's kind of early in the season. None of the ski lifts were operating (for hiking and via ferrata access), and the huts I saw were not open for the season yet. Some seasonal shops, such as those who rented mt. bikes, had yet to open. Some of the popular via ferrata, like the Tridentina (sp?), required crampons and possibly and ice axe.

We actually had very nice weather, which the folks at the hotels said was unusual for June, which is supposed to be rainier and less settled. I had hoped to maybe to a quick overnight to a hut but that wasn't an option. Given the chance I'd still go early season, though you'll have check to see what, if any, huts will be open that time of year. Either that or content yourself with day trips and possibly longer hikes to some of the summits. This site might be helpful for some planning: http://www.altabadia.org/en-US/alta_bad ... _alps.html

The following user would like to thank fatdad for this post
chugach mtn boy

mvs

by mvs » Thu May 05, 2011 8:39 pm

I spent a few weeks climbing in hiking in mid/late June one year and it was great. Some huts might be open but not the highest ones. Cortina is good and Val Gardena is good, lots of day hikes to go on.

The Brenta is especially *not good* in early season, as it holds a lot of snow. Actually anywhere else in the Dolomites is better.

If you want to do a via ferrata and run in to the situation fatdad described (icy, snowy), look for ones that are on south faces. There is often a dramatic difference.

Have fun!
--Michael

The following user would like to thank mvs for this post
chugach mtn boy

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Fri May 06, 2011 8:34 am

chugach mtn boy wrote:
Gangolf Haub wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/dolomites/150874#chapter_6

Yes, thanks, Gangolf, of course I'm very familiar with the SP Dolomites page (and,as you know, have very gratefully used your pages on Corsican and Appenine peaks in the past). And I even maintain an SP mountain page myself in one of the ranges near the Dolomites.

I guess my question goes more to what would work well in mid-June in the conditions that are developing this year.

Well, I wanted to direct you to the Alte Vie delle Dolomiti, the best documented multiday trekking routes in the Dolomites. Also, huts along the Alte Vie are bound to open earlier than in other places due to the popularity of the routes. As for current conditions, I cannot tell you but generally late June is ok. In 2005 - the last time I was in the Dolomites during June we didn't have any snow left (We visited Civetta, Pelmo, Latemar, Pale di San Martino, Sella and Marmolada Groups). The vacation started in mid June to stretch into July.

Generally I would rather vote to go to the southern Dolomites but this year I'm not sure as weather has been extremely good in the north (for months now) while in the south low pressure systems seem to be hanging over the Mediterranean.

Also, like Michael, I would discourage visiting the Brenta Group. It is notorious for its swift weather changes and Brenta Fog has become a proverb. It is a very closely set group and there snowfields beneath the north faces can last into summer.

If conditions don't allow the Dolomites, there are also good (short) trekking routes in view of the Dolomites. I'm thinking of Toblacher Höhenweg running across the southern parts of Hohe Tauern just across the Pustertal Valley. The mountains there don't pose challenges and are rather round-topped - but with good views. Also, at Toblach, Alta Via no 1 starts, so that Toblacher Höhenweg could serve as a warm-up. As far as I recall there is a lift from Villgraten to the ridge and from there you can hike it in a long day or stay overnight at Bonner Hütte.

I post this link not because of the route but because of the attached mountains - which make up the western half of the Höhenweg.
http://www.summitpost.org/kandellen-bonner-h-tte/564739

Another wonderful alternative I never tire of proposing is Karnischer Höhenweg along the Carnic Alps main Ridge, also in view of the Dolomites. It starts at Sexten / Sesto with a cable-car ride to the ridge and from there follows the whole length of the chain for 180km - if you want. Here you can avoid the north faces most of the time as there is a variant, Traversata Carnica, on the Italian side. As far as I recall the route takes four days to Plöckenpass and another three or four to its end in the far east.

First of three available days on SP:
http://www.summitpost.org/karnischer-ho ... e-1/574527

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Fri May 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Wow, thank you Gangolf for taking so much time to put together these interesting thoughts. I'm poring over my maps now. And thanks to Michael as well--the warnings about Brenta are well taken, and since I've been associating the Brenta with sunny Arco, I'd have had had no clue.

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri May 06, 2011 6:55 pm

I once spent about three weeks in Arco, and climate wise it's way different than the Dolomites.

Return to Europe