Elbrus - gear - various queries

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
theriel

Elbrus - gear - various queries

by theriel » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:26 pm

Hello,
Thanks to you I have successfully climbed Kili and Aconcagua - for which I will be always grateful.

In order to maintain the great success rate, I thought that I would once again ask you a few questions - though this time about Elbrus!

(1) Down jacket
Will Rab Neutrino Endurance be sufficient? (I would use it over heavy base layer + Patagonia P1 pullover + Arcteryx Atom LT + Arcteryx Alpha LT). It is far from being a 8000k down jacket, but it was ok on Aconcagua (except when used outside at night after a rest day when I didn't move at all)

(2) Gloves
I have BD Absolute Mitts (huge! mittens), BD Guide (warmest gloves by BD) and MH Hydra (technical). Should I take the Absolute Mitts, or will it be an overkill?

(3) "Alpine" day pack - 35-45L (to be used on summiting day and in Alps in the summer)
What is the current "go-to" standard? I remember that Lowe Alpine Attack 35:45 used to be the choice of many. I have heard good things also about Montane Torque 40 and BD Speed 40? Also - what is the difference between Lowe Alpine Attack and Lowe Alpine Peak Attack?

(4) Sleeping bag
I have RAB Expedition 1000 (Comfort -20°C, Limit of Comfort -29°C, Extreme -54°C). An overkill?

Thank you for help!
Last edited by theriel on Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
theriel

Re: Elbrus - gear - various queries

by theriel » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:14 am

This summer (July). Staying at a hotel and at the Barrels.

no avatar
theriel

Re: Elbrus - gear - various queries

by theriel » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:57 pm

Thank you for your recommendations! I think I will drop the sleeping bag and the Mitts.

I am still hesitating about the down jacket. I will be hiking with a guided trip and there is little likelihood of an unplanned night up there (the mountain is well connected by a chairlift, so even in an emergency situation there are better options than setting up a camp).

Neutrino Endurance has been described a "benchmark for lightweight ascents". However, there are reviews on the Internet of people who claim to have successfully used it on Elbrus.

Maybe I should take with me Patagonia R3 instead of R1 just in case?

Return to Gear