It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 10:07 pm

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

Noobie-First mountain backpack advice-Your help to choose

Hello to the community. I want to buy my first backpack and i want your help to choose.Here are some facts that may help you to help me:

Experience_"My profile": I joined my mountain club half a year ago but i m not entirely new to the mountains. I have stamina for many hiking hours/climbing mountains(~8 h). I am fairly active on the trail/mountain always going around trying to explore and see everything i can. ...
Read more : Noobie-First mountain backpack advice-Your help to choose | Views : 2245 | Replies : 1

La Sportiva Trango Cube vs Trango Tower

Any reason the Trango Tower is better than the Trango Cube, or vise versa? The Tower appears to be the new model of the Trango S Evo, with the same out sole as the Cube.

Also taking other input on a full synthetic, non-insulated mountain boot for somebody who has more of a La Sportiva-shaped foot than a Scarpa- or Lowa-shaped foot.
Read more : La Sportiva Trango Cube vs Trango Tower | Views : 6766 | Replies : 0

Denali Kit - Your Advice Pls

Hi all, grateful for any advice / insight for an upcoming trip to Alaska.

I'm getting my kit ready for a guided Denali expedition June/July next year and am looking to anyone who has spent time on Denali to provide some advice pls.

For context, I'd like to buy kit that I could also take to Himalaya for some higher mountains (8,000m) to save $$ and space in my small apartment!

Sleeping Bags
I think ...
Read more : Denali Kit - Your Advice Pls | Views : 6722 | Replies : 3

Sleeping bag and pad for two

Hi!

My girlfriend and I usually go backpacking together, so carrying 2 sleeping bags and pads seems like a waste of space/weight. I have been considering getting a 2 person sleeping bag and pad.

Sleeping bag: I cannot seem to find anything good for two people. The best option seems to be https://www.bigagnes.com/King-Solomon-1 ... BLE-WIDE_2. However, it is only 600 fill Down, and doesn't seem to save much over ...
Read more : Sleeping bag and pad for two | Views : 5349 | Replies : 8

Belay Parka - MH mountain guide vs Columbia Heatzone 1000

Hi,

Looking to buy a Belay parka that can be used for belaying as well as backpacking in colder weather. I'm just getting into climbing and camping in colder conditions so I'm looking for something versatile.
My two options so far are last season versions of:
1) https://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-g ... 16581.html
2) https://www.columbiasportswear.ca/en/he ... 13190906:s

Any advice on those, or on picking a parka ...
Read more : Belay Parka - MH mountain guide vs Columbia Heatzone 1000 | Views : 5168 | Replies : 7

Cumulus Incredilite Endurance down jacket Review

Winter is approaching and is time for a review of one of my favourite down jackets. This is an 850 cuin goose down jacket from a Polish brand named Cumulus. I have used this down jacket for 18+ months now on various occasions. From winter mountaineering activities, as insulation jacket while camping but also for daily use when temperatures drop down in my area.

Read full review with more photos here: ...
Read more : Cumulus Incredilite Endurance down jacket Review | Views : 10056 | Replies : 0

Western Mountaineering Winterbag: GWS vs MF?

Hi there,

I need some opinions. I will get a Western Mountaineering Lynx sleeping bag for the european alps.
I will use it mostly in small double wall tents, in an event bivy for quick overnights and under a tarp.

I asked WM whether or not I could take MF for this purpose, as it's more breathable and reduces
condensation from inside.
They said it will be no problem unless water is applied with pressure ...
Read more : Western Mountaineering Winterbag: GWS vs MF? | Views : 7311 | Replies : 1

Petzl ALTITUDE Harness Preview & First Thoughts

Recently, I have decided to upgrade some of my older pieces of equipment, and during this process I came to the conclusion that I wanted to upgrade my harness system too. Having used the Mammut Baffin harness for few years now, I came to the understanding that such a bulky harness was not what I wanted to have anymore. Although the Mammut Baffin performed great so far, I looked for less bulky and most of ...
Read more : Petzl ALTITUDE Harness Preview & First Thoughts | Views : 5681 | Replies : 2

Size 13.5 Hiker

I'm in the market for a boot thats either a 'small' 14 or a 'big' 13. Salomon 13's used to fit me, but I've since pounded my feet a bit bigger. I also have a fairly wide foot. Suggestions?
Read more : Size 13.5 Hiker | Views : 1567 | Replies : 0

LOWE ALPINE Mountain Attack 35-45 lt. Review

This past winter I was searching for a backpack that I could use it for 2 days (one night) trips to the mountain. This new backpack I wanted to have several features for winter mountaineering and to be within my budget. The previous years, for such excursions I was using the Lowe Alpine Cholatse II 55-65 lt backpack. This backpack was great, though the 55-65 litres where never filled up and therefore I did not ...
Read more : LOWE ALPINE Mountain Attack 35-45 lt. Review | Views : 5844 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557992 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136507