It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 4:46 am

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

Eclipse with Glacier Glasses?

I'm heading to the Wind Rivers on August 21st for the full eclipse but want to protect my eyes from permanent damage. I have a pair of Julbo Explorer Glacier Sunglasses which are said to have 100% UV protection and block 95% of visible light. Despite how dark it feels wearing them, I'm mostly concerned about invisible rays. I'm leaning on not using them but am curious what others think. I've heard that there are ...
Read more : Eclipse with Glacier Glasses? | Views : 6592 | Replies : 2

Marmot Long Hauler Duffel Bag Review

One of the most used pieces of gear I own is an exceptional duffle bag from Marmot. I have used this duffle bag on multiple occasions and for various reasons. First and foremost, the Marmot Long Hauler Duffel Bag, at home, is used as a storage for various pieces of mountaineering equipment and gear. I have also used it for transporting my mountaineering equipment from location A to location B, via car, airplane or train. ...
Read more : Marmot Long Hauler Duffel Bag Review | Views : 4313 | Replies : 0

Dana Designs Packs: Warranty and Repair Options

FYI,
If you have a Dana Designs pack and have a warranty question/issue it looks like Dana Gleason over at Mystery Ranch is still honoring the Dana Designs lifetime limited warranty.
http://www.mysteryranch.com/

FWIW, it looks like Marmot outsources their Dana Designs warranty to Rainy Pass Repair.
Marmot's policy on Dana Designs product warranty
https://warranty.marmot.com/dana_designs_policy

Per Marmot :
"If we determine ...
Read more : Dana Designs Packs: Warranty and Repair Options | Views : 8625 | Replies : 0

Want Stiff-Soled Mountain Boots Without Waterproof Membrane

To play off another thread http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/want-light-stiff-soled-boots-without-goretex-t62734.html, I'm looking for stiff mountain boots that are uninsulated and non-waterproof. Lightweight, like the other thread, isn't quite as important in this case, but would be a plus. I'm really after a tall boot with a stiff sole, that breathes better than a waterproof boot. The "mountain" part isn't even so important, but I thought SP would be a good place to ask. So far I've found the following ...
Read more : Want Stiff-Soled Mountain Boots Without Waterproof Membrane | Views : 19094 | Replies : 15

Need Lightweight Water Filter for Backpacking

I want to upgrade my old dinosaur. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Read more : Need Lightweight Water Filter for Backpacking | Views : 11041 | Replies : 15

4-season + all rounder tent recommendation for NZ and Andes

Hi all,

I'm a climber based in New Zealand and am looking to upgrade to a lightweight tent that I can use for a 4-season mountaineering but also at low elevation for long trans-alpine trips. I know this is a pretty big ask but ah well. So far I've got on OK without such a tent by using a bivy bag, snow cave, huts etc, but I'm going to be taking the next summer off ...
Read more : 4-season + all rounder tent recommendation for NZ and Andes | Views : 9001 | Replies : 10

Force ratings of gear

I read the ratings of different gear, such as cams and such, but I did not really understand what the ratings mean in terms of comparison with an actual fall. I did the analysis below. I am assuming a worst case 10 m fall. This would be climbing climbing to a height of 10 m, and then falling back 5 m back to the site of the anchor, then 5 m back down to the ...
Read more : Force ratings of gear | Views : 5054 | Replies : 9

Matterhorn boot selection

Hello,

I've got week long trip coming up to the french and swiss alps, where i'm praying for weather and hoping I can get up both Mont Blanc (trois monts) and the Matterhorn (honli).

In the interest of space I don't want to take over two sets of boots, so i'm hoping for feedback from anyone who's climbed them, particularly the Matterhorn.

I've recently worn through my pair of summer boots, meaning the only pair ...
Read more : Matterhorn boot selection | Views : 7178 | Replies : 2

Is Boreal G1 Lite suitable for 7000 m. peaks

I know description of this boot says that "it is for 6000 m peaks". But I still wonder is Boreal G1 Lite (http://www.borealoutdoor.com/products/details/g1-lite) suitable for 7000 metres peaks).
Thanks
Read more : Is Boreal G1 Lite suitable for 7000 m. peaks | Views : 3308 | Replies : 1

Boots for Rainier

I am climbing Mt. Rainier July 24th, 2017 and was wondering if my boots will work. I am considering using my Salomon ALP MTN GTXs with Smartwool PhD Heavy socks. I know they work well with my Black Diamond crampons, I'm just wondering if they will be warm enough.

Thoughts?
Read more : Boots for Rainier | Views : 8087 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557992 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136507