It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:20 am

News News of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Site map of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) » Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Wind River Advice

My boys (ages 10 and 11) and I had such a great time in the Bighorns last summer that we've been saving our pennies and are headed back to WY in August before the guys go back to school. The advice from this forum was truly invaluable last year - we had an amazing time trekking around the Cloud Peak Wilderness for a few days.

We are looking to spend 5-8 days in the Wind ...
Read more : Wind River Advice | Views : 5906 | Replies : 8

Middle Teton SW couloir current conditions

Hi! I would like to check if anybody who has recently climbed Middle or South Tetons could provide beta on snow conditions for the SW couloir approach to Middle Teton. Is there any snow in the couloir itself? We plan to climb this Saturday July 9 and are interested to find if we need to bring crampons, microspikes, or ice axes. Can trail runners be used or is it too early for this kind of ...
Read more : Middle Teton SW couloir current conditions | Views : 3509 | Replies : 0

Wind River MANDATORY bear protocol

It is now MANDATORY to hang your food a minimum of 10ft, or use a certified bear canister. Anyone caught not adhering to this will be fined. All of the Winds are now subject to this ruling.
Read more : Wind River MANDATORY bear protocol | Views : 4240 | Replies : 4

Bears west of Glacier NP

Reposting for clarity. Leave the extra arguments out, if possible. I know all about spray, guns, that some people think sleeping with food is stupid, general grizz behavior, etc.

If you sleep with your food in some areas (e.g. Colorado, Oregon, Washington), would you sleep with it on the PNT corridor west of Glacier NP? If not, would you canister or hang? This will be part of a long-ish high-mileage, ultra-light (if possible) trip. Arriving ...
Read more : Bears west of Glacier NP | Views : 4200 | Replies : 3

Bear protocol outside of GNP

Hello SPers. I'm going to be starting from East Glacier and hiking west ~150 miles. I know in GNP there are poles or whatever for food in camp. Once i've hit the western border of the park though, i'm not quite sure whether i should be carrying a bear canister or what. I'm used to only carrying it in areas where it's mandatory, but i'm also not used to hiking much in grizzly bear country. ...
Read more : Bear protocol outside of GNP | Views : 7197 | Replies : 13

Microspikes on Gannett in early July?

I have searched most of the Gannett forums and didn't see any discussion on crampons vs. microspikes (Kahtoola.) So, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, I am going to post this ...

My husband and I are climbing Gannett the first week of July. I have good mountaineering boots that are crampon-compatible and, although cumbersome, I will hike in them for the approach and carry the crampons. My husband sold similar boots last ...
Read more : Microspikes on Gannett in early July? | Views : 4723 | Replies : 3

What kind of winter did ID and MT have?

Hi folks

We are planning an Idaho and Montana trip (July 15 to mid September). Have been looking at easy rock climbs as well as ice. Can you please describe (in general) the kind of winter these two states had? Low snow year, average, above average? Any comments on general snow conditions compared to other years? Would not want to hit burned out ice couloirs in mid August if we can avoid them. Most likely ...
Read more : What kind of winter did ID and MT have? | Views : 4464 | Replies : 8

Canoe Rental/Borrow; Mount Moran CMC

I am looking to do the CMC route on Mount Moran with two friends in early July this summer. We have a very extensive expedition planned (a few summits and a traverse through the Northern Cascades before we reach the Tetons), and money is pretty tight at this point. If we have to, we'll do the hike (bushwack) around Leigh Lake, but if anyone knows of somewhere close by that rents canoes for far cheaper ...
Read more : Canoe Rental/Borrow; Mount Moran CMC | Views : 4085 | Replies : 3

Table Mountain Conditions

I'm heading to Wyoming next week (6/13) and wanted to see that view of the Tetons from Table Mountain.

What are the conditions (namely on the switchbacks), and are crampons/snowshoes necessary?
Read more : Table Mountain Conditions | Views : 3126 | Replies : 1

Late May Montana/Idaho Backpacking Trip Ideas? Late May Montana/Idaho Backpacking Trip Ideas?

Hi All!

I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas for a late May (Memorial Day weekend) 4-day backpacking trip within a 6-8 hour drive of Missoula, MT. I've heard great things about the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness, and obviously the Rattlesnake Recreation Area is an option. We'd love to get off the beaten path, but I'm a bit worried about snow and road conditions. Does anything come to mind immediately?

Thanks!
Read more : Late May Montana/Idaho Backpacking Trip Ideas? | Views : 7457 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557959 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136429