It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:27 am

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

Why did my photo load and save sideways?

I uploaded this photo and it was positioned correctly though when it was completed saving it had saved it with the Dani Warrior sideways?

Any ideas

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=587442

Cheers, Roger
Read more : Why did my photo load and save sideways? | Views : 3894 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Page Help

Thermarest vs. Concrete

On a whim I decided to go up to the top of a mountain here in Virginia to test out my new -15 degree MH Lamina sleeping bag. It was windier than I expected at the top so I decided to set up shop in the summit shelter with its concrete floor. It was probably no colder than 15 degrees but after a little bit I found myself very very cold in the bag.

I ...
Read more : Thermarest vs. Concrete | Views : 2430 | Replies : 11 | Forum : Gear

Rock Fall

Holy Fuck. Reminds me of MT Edith Cavell.

Has the earmarks of an FA allright. Or the first hike after the winter.
Read more : Rock Fall | Views : 9042 | Replies : 22 | Forum : Ethics, Spray, and Slander

Ice on Charleston?!?

so I picked this up from reading the Charleston Peak page. anybody got any beta on the current ice condition mentioned below or know a site that has some info?

Charleston Peak offers ice climbing in the WI2 to WI5+ range. Areas include: Lost Falls (WI 2), Echo Falls (WI 3), Vegas Hose Monster (WI 5+), Little Falls (WI 2+), Avalanche Falls (WI 4), and Mary Jane Falls (WI 4)
Read more : Ice on Charleston?!? | Views : 1651 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Self-arrest on technical mountaineering axes

My collection of sharp objects is steadily growing, and now I'm thinking of acquiring an ice axe that is suitable for alpine ice climbing, yet can be used for self-arrest on glacier travel. Models I'm looking at include the Petzl Sum'Tec, Grivel Air Tech Evo and BD Venom.

Do these axes require different picks in order to perform well for ice climbing vs self-arrest?
Read more : Self-arrest on technical mountaineering axes | Views : 18242 | Replies : 19 | Forum : Gear

Tallac Ski Access

I just read where the Spring Creek Road that use to get you a lot closer to the trailhead is now closed during the winter. Does anyone know if this is true ? This is the road that winds through the small housing area that dead-ends at the meadow. I am heading there this weekend and would rather NOT walk from 89 ! Thxs, Scott
Read more : Tallac Ski Access | Views : 1504 | Replies : 5 | Forum : California

Looking for adventure on Jan 15-18?

What's everyone doing January 15-18 over the holiday weekend?

We were thinking of heading to SE Utah. Some possibilities this time of year are Goblin Valley, Arches, Swett Creek, North Wash or Robbers Roost areas. I wouldn't mind doing some technical canyons, but wouldn't mind doing non-technical ones either if no one was interesed in technical ones.

Right now long term weather forecast are calling for good weather and daytime temperatures near 50 in those ...
Read more : Looking for adventure on Jan 15-18? | Views : 5054 | Replies : 23 | Forum : Colorado

Glacier on Gannett

I'm probably going to attempt a solo of Gannett in Mid to late August. I don't know how comfortable I feel going solo on glaciers. I noticed from a lot of pictures and topos that it appears you can navigate around the glaciers in late August. What's the possibilities of gaining the summit of Gannett Peak without setting foot on glaciers. What grade of climbing would the mountain present to avoid glaciers.
Read more : Glacier on Gannett | Views : 12478 | Replies : 24 | Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Italian Alpinist dies on Cerro Torre cought in an avalanche

Fabio Giacomelli died on Cerro Torre killed by an avalnche while climbing with rope mate Elio Orlandi (He survived).
To add to the tragedy the two were climbing Cerro Torre to bring to the summit the ashes of the famous alpinist Cesarino Fava who died last year.

here is the news in the italian newspaper:
http://trentinocorrierealpi.gelocal.it/dettaglio/tragedia-in-patagonia-valanga-sul-cerro-torre-travolge-un-alpinista-trentino/1821738
Read more : Italian Alpinist dies on Cerro Torre cought in an avalanche | Views : 3667 | Replies : 4 | Forum : News

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557987 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136496