It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:29 am

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

NZ tramping

Hello!
I'm headed to the South Island for 2 months starting in February, and I'm looking for information about a couple of hikes around Mt. Aspiring. I've climbed Aspiring and done quite a lot of hiking on the South Island, and I can't wait to get back for more!

Does anybody have any information/suggestions for either the Lennox Pass or Cascade Saddle routes? Major river crossings, difficult route finding, technical sections, etc. I'm also interested ...
Read more : NZ tramping | Views : 2800 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

Poor Conditions on NZ Glaciers

After a very dry winter, the glaciers in New Zealand, particularly east of the Main Divide, are becoming difficult to pass. Conditions now in mid-December resemble February conditions during a normal season. The Linda Glacier route on Mount Cook was barely passable on December 11 and will be likely be done for the season very soon. Access from the Hooker is becoming similarly cut-off. Anyone planning a trip to NZ should keep this in mind. ...
Read more : Poor Conditions on NZ Glaciers | Views : 2161 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

NZ Alpine climbing -- Feb

I'm looking for partners for the S Alps in Feb. I have a lot
of experience from the Alps/Andes/Himalaya-Karakoram,
and would be interested in non-standard routes on peaks
like Cook, Tasman and Aspiring. However, given the usual
weather situation I'd settle for anything with a view. On that
note, can anyone advise whether February is still a goer
with regard to disintegrating glaciers ? I have some flexibility to be available in January as well/instead. ...
Read more : NZ Alpine climbing -- Feb | Views : 2165 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

Taiwan

Does anyone have any experience hiking and climbing in the mountains of Taiwan and is it worth it to go?
Read more : Taiwan | Views : 2709 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

New Zealand or Chile climbing?

My wife are looking to go climbing in Chile or New Zealand over Christmas...we're looking for multi-pitch sold rock in the 5.4 to 5.6 range...any suggestions?

~Swifty
Read more : New Zealand or Chile climbing? | Views : 4714 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

New Aussie Page

I've jst posted a new aussie page: Mt French & Frog Buttress
Read more : New Aussie Page | Views : 3696 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

Aussie SP'ers

Every now and again I come across a post and accidentally discover that there are more Aussies lurking on SP than I previously thought. Just thought it may be a good idea, for those who wish, to put your hand up on this thread to make yourself known and maybe build communications and plan trips, whatever.
Read more : Aussie SP'ers | Views : 73783 | Replies : 61 | Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

NZ trip 06

Hello, I'll be in NZ from jan 21 to feb 19. Im doing TMC until jan 26 and after that keen to do some mountains around cook area or head down to climb mt aspiring. If anyone is in the area around then and loking for someone to climb with let me know:) my email addy is dbak3056@bigpond.net.au

thanks all, take care and safe climbing
Read more : NZ trip 06 | Views : 2164 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

Moving to Taiwan

Hi, I am about to move to Taiwan by the end of next week - not sure how long, depends on how things go there jobwise. If anybody can give me advice about nice hiking, climbing and mountaineering routes and scenic places there please let me know.
Thanks
Read more : Moving to Taiwan | Views : 763 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Asia

Climbing in Central Asia

Hi there,

I am planning a trip this summer to central asia, Kazakstan, Krygystan and the like.

Has anyone here climbed there before?

Did you have any particularly great climbing experiences to share?

I would love to find some experienced partners.

Is anyone interested in possibly doing a first ascent?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
mo
Read more : Climbing in Central Asia | Views : 7300 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Asia

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558082 • Total topics 55846 • Total members 136713