It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:32 am

News News of South America

Site map of South America » Forum : South America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

Ecuador/pressurized gas

Can you buy pressurized gas in Ecuador, i.e. butane, isobutane? Do the camping/climbing stores sell it with the threaded top?

Jason
Read more : Ecuador/pressurized gas | Views : 3103 | Replies : 7

acclimatization climbs in preparation for Chimborazo april07

I will be in Quito next April and I was wondering what you guys would recommend as good acclimatization climbs to prepare me for chimborazo. All info is greatly appreciated.
-Doc
Read more : acclimatization climbs in preparation for Chimborazo april07 | Views : 1450 | Replies : 2

Poka Pokilla

That's the name of a Chilean volcano wich is near the Bolivian border. Anyone know its height :?: It seems to be the local name because I've couldn't find anything about it. I only know that the elevation could be over 5.000 m / 16,404 ft
Read more : Poka Pokilla | Views : 1490 | Replies : 9

Climbing in South America, May 2007, But Where?

Hey all of you great summitposters... I could really use some South American expertise. I am looking at doing a trip to Peru from the middle of May to the beginning of June. I would like to do an interesting mountaineering route on a peak or two on some large peaks. Does anyone know of some solid guiding services in Peru? Or is anyone else planning on going down to South America in May that ...
Read more : Climbing in South America, May 2007, But Where? | Views : 1898 | Replies : 3

Patagonia Ideas

Any ideas for what to do during a 3-week trip to the Patagonia?

I'm flying into Santiago and then into Punta Arenas. Then have plans to spend some time in Torres del Paine.

I won't be doing any serious climbing this trip but I am looking for any good hikes to do, villages to visit, pubs to frequent, etc.......
Read more : Patagonia Ideas | Views : 4331 | Replies : 15

Length of Aco approach

Hi!

I am curious how long the Aconcagua approaches (to BC) are. I would need to know this to have some idea how much say 30 or 40km are, for an expedition in a totally different range. I did approaches much longer than the Aco approaches in the Andes, but never bothered to take measurements how far that was.
I cycled back from Pissis, but since this was cycling, I got no idea either how ...
Read more : Length of Aco approach | Views : 1151 | Replies : 3

Ecuador - Best times to visit...

I'm trying to pin down my 2007 mountain trip and the guide books seem to conflict with each other to some degree. Besides the Dec-Jan climbing window what are the more reasonable months to climb in Ecuador. Our goals are Iliniza, Cayambe, Cotopaxi and Chimborazo. Happy Holidays!
Read more : Ecuador - Best times to visit... | Views : 798 | Replies : 1

Travelling to Fiambala from Copiapo

Hi,
Is there a bus company that cross the border at Paso San Francisco, to go from Copiapo, Chile to Fiambala, Argentina?
Also, is it necessery to have the DIFROL permit to hike in the Tres Cruces Park (without doing the summit), is it necessary to have it to cross the border at Paso San Francisco?
Thanks for your help,

Bruno
Read more : Travelling to Fiambala from Copiapo | Views : 2461 | Replies : 10

Poop N Scoop on Aconcagua. Is it working?

Have any of the old timers on Aconcagua (perhaps "Repeat climbers" would be a little more gracious) noticed an improvement in sanitary conditions with the implementation of Poop N Scoop? I dont know how long or how hard they have been enforcing this rule but I do know that camp 1 on the Polish route was pretty bad in 2005. I have no problem with this policy and was just wondering if its working. ...
Read more : Poop N Scoop on Aconcagua. Is it working? | Views : 2583 | Replies : 5

ACONCAGUA PERMIT

Hello. I'm planning a trip in Jan 07 up the Vaccas Valley to the summit. Does anyone know if the permit is still $330 or has it increased. Also what kind of winter did aconcagua have heavy or light snow year. TKS.
Read more : ACONCAGUA PERMIT | Views : 3012 | Replies : 6

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558081 • Total topics 55846 • Total members 136712