It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:37 am

News News of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Site map of Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX) » Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Good summer hike near LV?

My wife and I will be in Las Vegas in mid-June and will have a half-day available for a hike somewhere nearby. We did Turtlehead Peak last spring and really enjoyed it. That hike was perfect for our experience level - a bit challenging physically but not overly so.

We'd love some advice on something similar we could do this year. Having read how oppressive the desert heat can be, we are a little leery ...
Read more : Good summer hike near LV? | Views : 4488 | Replies : 8

Happy 100th birthday, Arizona!

Gotta love a place where I can take the dog for her morning walk in flip flops, and hike in the mountains in a t-shirt...in the middle of February. (Then again, if I dared to return in the summer I could fry an egg on the sidewalk.)

Happy 100th, Arizona! I think I'll go climb a nice desert peak this weekend to celebrate. :wink: (You know, try ...
Read more : Happy 100th birthday, Arizona! | Views : 16786 | Replies : 39

New Mexico stretching

Not that surprising given there's already a big rift down the middle but some specific numbers are always nice
http://news.discovery.com/earth/new-mex ... gn=rssnws1

Wonder if the mountains are changing at all, fault blocks rotating and the like.
Read more : New Mexico stretching | Views : 2110 | Replies : 0

Interesting routes on Guadalupe (TX)?

I'm setting my sights on Guadalupe Peak in west Texas this weekend. Are there any more interesting routes besides the class 1 walk-up? Scrambles to technical routes or just interesting loop hikes? I'm in El Paso from Friday to Sunday and I'm open to new partners.
Read more : Interesting routes on Guadalupe (TX)? | Views : 2005 | Replies : 0

Gila Wilderness Page Revamp: A Call For Images And Ideas

I am beginning a revamp of the Gila Wilderness page. This is one of the great wilderness areas of America and its historical significance is nonpareil. I spent quite a bit of time here but much of it was prior to the acquisition of a camera, so I only have the pictures I took on my last trip there. Aside from a scattering of images already posted, any other images that people want to post ...
Read more : Gila Wilderness Page Revamp: A Call For Images And Ideas | Views : 2899 | Replies : 4

Mount Taylor - NM - Winter Route?

I'll be in the Albuquerque area for a few days starting January 19th. I'm not familiar with that area and I'd like to give Mount Taylor a try. I'm wondering what the best route up Taylor is in the winter. Unfortunately, I don't ski but I'll pack my snowshoes as it sounds like there will be plenty of snow on the mountain. I have a feeling the Gooseberry Springs Trail isn't the best way to ...
Read more : Mount Taylor - NM - Winter Route? | Views : 2142 | Replies : 4

Tres Hermanas mountains

The Tres Hermanas (Three Sisters) range is a series of 3 mountains about 7 miles north of Columbus, New Mexico. My guess is that they are about 1000 feet above the surrounding terrain of the Chihuahuan desert. The range is only about 10 miles from the U.S./ Mexico border. To watch a very short Youtube movie of the climb, copy and paste this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f659GvcIlWA
Read more : Tres Hermanas mountains | Views : 3939 | Replies : 0

I find myself longing for the Southwest again...

As winter is setting in here in Mount Shasta, I am pining for the Southwest as usual. It is hard for me to believe how long it has been since I have been down there. Even though I live in paradise, I think about moving to New Mexico everyday. I often log onto Summitpost just to browse the pictures in Arizona, New Mexico and Utah pages. Here are some of the pages I have been ...
Read more : I find myself longing for the Southwest again... | Views : 3823 | Replies : 12

Humphreys Peak end of January

Hey everyone. I'll be down in Arizona at the end of January and was considering heading up Humphreys Peak. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge that they would like to share about Humphreys this time of year? What is the snow situation typically like?
Read more : Humphreys Peak end of January | Views : 2223 | Replies : 5

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557956 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136425