It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:23 pm

News News of Utah

Site map of Utah » Forum : Utah

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.

Mountain snow? Mountain snow?

I saw some reports of significant new snow in the Wasatch. Any information if this made it eastward in the Uintas? The Snotel gauges don't show anything. Headed out that way soon for a trip up Kings Peak and wondering what to expect. I know a couple of days of sunshine this time of year will cause a lot of melting. Thanks in advance!
Read more : Mountain snow? | Views : 5555 | Replies : 6

Timpanogos routes this time of year?

I'm driving through and what to hit Mt. Timp. Not sure where to look for condition reports, etc. Is there still a fair bit of snow up there? What would be a recommended route given current conditions? I'd have more fun doing some moderate snow climbing and scrambling than taking the easiest route to the summit. If there's a web resource that I should be looking at for this detail, I'd appreciate it. From the ...
Read more : Timpanogos routes this time of year? | Views : 4917 | Replies : 5

Footwear for Hiking in the Narrows

Taking my sons out to Zion NP in a couple of weeks. We want to hike in the Narrows. I'm sure some parts will still require wading. I want us to be comfortable. What's the best type of footwear for this activity?

TIA
Read more : Footwear for Hiking in the Narrows | Views : 6290 | Replies : 5

Conditions on Deseret Twin Couloirs

Has anyone been to/seen these lately? We were thinking of making the trip from Boise, ID and would like to know if there is any snow still in the Twin Couloirs on Deseret Peak and if so, how is it for climbing?

Thanks!
Read more : Conditions on Deseret Twin Couloirs | Views : 4293 | Replies : 4

Found: Shell on Pilot Peak

I was up Pilot Peak on the afternoon of 5/25, and found a nice shell. It probably belongs to the party I passed on the drive in, but it fits me and I could use it. If it's yours, PM me a description and I'll try to get it back to you. If you live in the SLC area, I can probably hand it to you today as I'm passing through.

(Yes, Pilot is technically ...
Read more : Found: Shell on Pilot Peak | Views : 4248 | Replies : 1

A loop: Millcreek ridge to lakes to Gobblers, Raymond, Neff'

Hi, I'm looking to do a backpacking/camping loop starting by coming up the western side of Grandeur Peak and following the Millcreek Ridge along Church Fork Peak, Mt. Aire and Murdock Peak, going to the lakes (Salamander, Red Pine, Desolation, Dog Lake), then heading back to come out Neff's Canyon via Gobbler's Knob and Mt. Raymond. Yesterday I hiked up the west side of Grandeur Peak and went as far as Burch Hollow, where I ...
Read more : A loop: Millcreek ridge to lakes to Gobblers, Raymond, Neff' | Views : 4492 | Replies : 3

Am I missing something?

Reuters report of Bundy supporting ATVers riding on protected land in Utah:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/10/us-usa-utah-showdown-idUSBREA4903920140510

Now, I don't live out west, only visit there 1-2 times a year to primitive camp/backpack/climb. Am I missing something? It seems like these ATVers are proving their "point" by needlessly destroying fragile desert. Aren't there's already places for them to ride? I'd hate to see more Great Basin dust dumped on W Colorado.
Read more : Am I missing something? | Views : 4315 | Replies : 6

Partner for easier Moab Area sport climbs

Hi!

I'm camping in the Moab area and am looking for climbing partners this week and/or weekend...

Looking to sport lead single pitches up 5.8 - 5.9ish (easier is okay too), and/or follow some easier 5.10s. I don't have any trad or multipitch xp.

I have a 60m rope and draws.

Was thinking Wall Street/Potash Road, Ice Cream Parlor/Kane Creek, Sunshine Wall...

Ari
Read more : Partner for easier Moab Area sport climbs | Views : 3434 | Replies : 0

Kolob Creek (Canyon)

Planning our Zion trip for the start of July and was planning on doing Kolob Creek via the Narrows but dont want it to take up 2 days.

I have a couple questions, is how long has it taken some of you to do it? Do you recommend 2 days or bolting through it, where did you camp at? or do you prefer MIA exit...

My last question may be a little out there... Is ...
Read more : Kolob Creek (Canyon) | Views : 3671 | Replies : 1

memorial day canyoneering

Read more : memorial day canyoneering | Views : 5034 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557956 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136423