PhpBB 3.0.7-PL1 & copyright

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: PhpBB 3.0.7-PL1 & copyright

by Gangolf Haub » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:41 am

stefschuermans wrote:When will there be an upgrade to phpBB3.0.x? Those spammessages will dissappaer, better database protection ...

With the words of phpBB:

http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/?si ... eef2d5ba9e

Would be nice to have a subforum for plans and partners in every forum for instance...

Since we are so proud of being an owner of a page, we can take it down with us, we have it online and we own the page. Why didn't the creators of the page didn't mention phpBB? Why is it only hidden in the code?

Code: Select all
<!--Powered by <a href="http://www.phpbb.com/" target="_phpbb" class="copyright">phpBB</a></div-->

I doubt this will happen. The elves don't have access to the code, Matt doesn't have the time for major changes and Josh & Ryle are out there somewhere.

I guess pgpbb is mentioned as the user databases of the forum and the site are interconnected - which also is im my eyes the biggest obstacle in deploying a new version. The current version is six years old and tons of changes will have been made to phpbb. And I'm sure many of those involve users / authorizations / spam.

We're here in limboland I'm sorry to say...

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:53 pm

I don't see the problem. What we've got has worked fine for quite a while now, so why would we want to upgrade (and add problems). Like they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:Like they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The students in our local engineering school have T-shirts that say, "If it ain't broke, we'll take it apart and fix it."

If you thought like an engineer, you'd understand. 8)

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:34 pm

I'm with Stef, even though I don't know much about this computer business, I always say its better to be safe then sorry.

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:25 pm

stefschuermans wrote:because hackers all over the world try to get into phpBB. It's the forum which is used most all over the world.

The PM's from hot girls, emailmessages, forumposts, ... would dissappaer with a new and stable version!

The database will sooner or later crash because of the old version of the forums content management system ...

I have not received any PM's from hot girls. What am I doing wrong???? :oops:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:28 pm

I don't see much bad stuff here. I would guess that SP has a couple thousand users who are diligent about weeding out SPAM, as well as weeding out dead pages and stuff that would not be caught by a better BBS. Unless all the elves are in the hospital at once, we'll probably be OK.

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:48 pm

Appreciate the offers to help update the forum. It would be nice but without direct owner involvement we are just going to have to live with the forum as it is now and hope for the best.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:44 am

epitox wrote:Also, squishy is a mouse-wielding Winblows jockey who does not know dickcheese about computers. Disregard him.

Hmmm, you joined today. Who might you be?

Cedar

by Cedar » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:16 am

I made a request on MBPost a little over a year ago here: http://www.mbpost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=208 The elves there have let Ryle know that I would be willing to help with this but I haven't received anything from him about it yet and I really don't expect to.

And also, the latest stuff may be the target of hackers but that's because they are HARD to hack. I wouldn't think anyone would care about hacking something that you can do easily.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:57 am

squishy wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:
epitox wrote:Also, squishy is a mouse-wielding Winblows jockey who does not know dickcheese about computers. Disregard him.

lol...that's toxo I bet, I keep missing her trolls...

She's a linux fan-boy and thinks she's 1337 when she drinks...

That's odd. I usually think I'm 22 when i drink.

Charles

by Charles » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:58 am

Andinistaloco wrote:
squishy wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:

Drink and think? Often mutually exclusive.

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:14 pm

In all likelihood, yeah.

Charles

by Charles » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:17 pm

squishy wrote:pgpbb? OH MY GOD!!!

dude, these forums are open source, no longer supported and even the documentation is lost to history. This is most likely the only place still using it. pgpbb is obviously a hacked up or post version of an even older version of phpbb. The rest is obviously phpnuke or a custom job. If it is phpnuke, replacing pgpbb with phpbb is possible, but most likely the phpnuke will also need to be updated. An expert (with phpnuke experience) and the ability to custom write queries for the content rich sql database is needed. They are not cheap I imagine...

An SP3 would be better served by one of the better CMS systems which have come since then...Without the ability to upgrade the code, this website is not scalable and will never see the advances in security and features which have come since...Bottom line is that the database is worthless for the long haul without spending money to find ways to better access it...

What we have will have to do...and it does work...except for the voting...

Que?

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:55 pm

squishy wrote:
Andinistaloco wrote:
squishy wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=1337

I learn something new everyday. I wish I understood computers.

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:18 pm

stefschuermans wrote:
Hotoven wrote:I learn something new everyday. I wish I understood computers.

That's easy, they do what they are asked to do... You have a girlfriend? Think the opposite :wink:

I'm just wondering why we need the owners if they don't do a thing to the code of SP. With all the interactive improvements they made to codes, CMS-systems and database things.

It's like buying a new porche or keep using an old-timer porche. Why use the old one if you are able to buy a new and improved one?

One of these days they might surprise us and return.

Sometime in 2003 they basically disappeared, just like now. We rarely heard from either one of them. Then all of a sudden in late 2005, they decided to revamp SP1 and launch SP2, which took quite a bit of time and effort by them. From a programming standpoint, SP1 was described as a bunch of spaghetti--a real mess to untangle and fix. So, you never know.

Earlier I said that we would probably have to make the best of what we have. That's true in the short term, but they might return later this year, next year, or the year after and clean things up. That's not a prediction or based on any inside knowledge, just one of those "You never know what can happen" kind of things.

Next

Return to Site Feedback