More thievery / copyright infringement

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: More thievery / copyright infringement

by Bob Sihler » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:32 pm

The TOS and FAQ have been updated to codify that members' material is copyrighted and may not be used without their permission.

An email will be going to the website, if not today, then tomorrow. Alpinist, did you send your own email already?
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:16 pm

Thanks Bob. I did not send them an email. If they had stolen 1 of my photos, as other sites have done in the past, I would have contacted them personally. However, the OhRanger site is stealing content wholesale from SummitPost. It's not just my material. As such, I think the letter should come from SummitPost staff/owners rather than from an individual member.

Please let me know when/what you hear from them. Thanks again.

ozarkmac

by ozarkmac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:03 pm

I took Alpinist up on his call to action. My email to them and their reply (I hope no one objects to the way I handled it):

"Please take note that your site contains a considerable amount of material lifted without authorization from summitpost.com summitpost content is expressly owned, with all rights reserved, by the authors of the individual pages. From a recent forum post: 'Alert: This website is stealing content from SummitPost. They stole the description word for word from at least a dozen of my mountain pages. For example, compare my Pluto Dome page with theirs. They stole the content for several (maybe all) of my other Sierra mountain pages. (You'd best check to see if they stole any of your pages.) Here's a list of all their peaks just in Yosemite. I'm guessing they stole all of them from SP.'"

"Kent: Thank you for email and for calling this issue to our attention. We are in the process of removing the content concerning summitpost users. We expect the process to be completed sometime next week, as our webmaster is off-the-grid camping this week with his wife and two little boys. I apologize and wish to make clear that we were not aware of the source of the material, as it was provided to us by a freelance researcher without an explanation of its origin. Please let me know if, after next week, summitpost users inform you of concern about content on our website. Please also extend my apologies to the summitpost forum members.

Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully, Mark.

Mark Saferstein
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief
American Park Network &
OhRanger.com
3 Columbus Circle, Suite 622
New York, NY 10019

office: 212-581-3380, x11

OhRanger.com
Twitter.com/OhRanger
Download our new app: Oh, Ranger! ParkFinder™

The following user would like to thank ozarkmac for this post
Alpinist, Arthur Digbee, Bob Sihler, MoapaPk, Sarah Simon, sharperblue

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:26 am

Well done! Hopefully the solution is that simple. I'll check the site net week and we'll see if they indeed have eliminated the material.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:45 am

Ozarkmac, thank you for sending that and for posting the response. Because you beat me to it and covered it very well, I held off, not wanting it be overkill since the site editor responded so favorably. However, if the content is not soon removed as the response says, then I will follow up with an email from this site.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Previous

Return to Site Feedback